Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outpost Firewall- Block IGMP? What is IGMP?

• Please log in to reply

Lu7

Lu7

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just installed Outpost Firewall 2009 Free to try it out and I noticed in the Event Viewer-Firewall list it first has one entry of IGMP.MCAST.NET/Block IGMP and then about every two minutes it has 198.168.1.1 /Block IGMP. I guess the 198.168.1.1 is the Linksys router?
What is the IGMP and should it be blocked?

Windows XP (SP3) with Windows firewall disabled, AVG Free, IE8, FireFox, Opera.

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://en.wikipedia....gement_Protocol

I guess the 198.168.1.1 is the Linksys router?

yes. you shouldn't specifically need igmp blocked, but you don't specifically need it open either

Lu7

Lu7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the quick reply,

I looked at the Wiki and not sure what they are talking about, but I guess its best to leave it blocked for security if I you say I don't really need it.
Why would it come up as blocked every two minutes, is that just how it works and normal or is there a program trying to use it?

Thanks