Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent unexpected re-boots

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Look to see where the monitor connects to the machine. If it connects to one of the PCI cards, that would be the video card. If, on the other hand, it connects to the vertical input/output panel above the PCI slots, it's integrated.

You might pull the card and make sure the fan (if it has one) is clean and that it spins freely.

I'm posting from an iPad at the moment. When I get to my computer I'll post some instructions to reinstall the video drivers cleanly.

Advertisements

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I can see the video card easily. Counting up from the bottom it's the highest one. There is nothing near it to keep it cool. The large CPU fan is on the motherboard about three inches higher, the other two cards - one is the Sound Blaster - are below the Nvidia Ge Force 6200 SE card. I see some discoloration on the video card. Right now I have TWO fans blowing directly at it.

I see the local Micro Soft sells this same model for about $44.00. Frankly I'm surprised something this old is still on the market.

I don't plan to keep this computer more than a few months longer but I do need it to work. I suppose I sound cheap but I am retired and have a limited income (until I get hired for a second career job!). Is it possible for this PC to function with something even cheaper than what I found at Micro Center? What specs would I need if I talk to a salesperson about a less expensive alternative?

Current:

GPU 49C
CPU 0C
Ambient 33C
Remote 43C
HD0 55C
HD1 32C
Temp1 40C
Core 44C

I'd say the wind might be helping!

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Uh, that's MICRO CENTER, of course!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd stay with the 6200. To go with an even earlier card will give you a serious drop in performance.

How's the machine run with the card being cooled?

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
It crashed at least 12 times since my last response.

I uninstalled Sony, again. I uninstalled Nvidia monitor which was supposed to keep the thing updated.

Temps are fairly high.

When it was off I tried to remove the Nvidia card. I got the back end of the horse loose but the inner most part seems fastened to the motherboard but I don't see a release such as there is with memory cards.

I may have to continue at public library computers if this gets any worse.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There's a little plastic lever at the back of the slot (right under the back of the video card) that acts as a catch. Most of these push toward the bottom of the motherboard to release the catch. Don't get too western with it, it may be brittle as old as it is and after being subjected to so much heat. You only have to move it slightly.

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
"Don't get too western with it..."

You just made my day. :)

I may be low on cash at the moment but once I'm working again I will do mt best to help you with your personal computer crusade.

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hey - I THINK I have good news!

I sold off a bag full of DVD'S, some of which I'll eventually purchase again. I ended up with more than enough money for a visit to MICRO CENTER.

I asked for a GEFORCE 63200 and the salesman said "what kind, PCI, VGA, or..."

I said "I haven't a clue!"

He kindly looked up my Pavilion a1412n Media Center edition and said "Good news. You don't have to get the more expensive 6200 because there is a new "e-DeForce 7200 GS" which costs a lot less and will do more for you."

It's in the PC now and so far I see no signs of a crash. I still need to tweak the screen resolution because the print in front of me is very small although the web page takes up the whole scree. I'm sure I can fix this.

The real test will come in a while when I try to use Sony Sound Forge again. If that works I think we can say it is resolved to my full satisfaction.

wannabe1 I thank you sincerely for sticking with me through this difficult [for me] time. You are a true gentleman and a most kind person!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Don't let fear hold you back...give it a workout. :)

Let me know how it's going after you have a chance to play with it some.

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I think we can now safely say it's as perfect as this computer will ever get!

I've been running Sound Forge for at least two hours while surfing the net, deleting unwanted files, tweaking appearance, etc.

The small type on the internet was because somehow I.E, got set to zoom at 75%.

There is still that Microsoft update which fails to install every time.

Oh, and the temps...the TEMPS!

It's relatively frigid here!

CPU 0C
AMBIENT 31C
REMOTE 50C
HD0 58C
HD1 31C
TEMP1 40C
CORE 26C
AMBIENT 0C
GPU 26C

Alright, HD0 is still pretty toasty, and remote is hotter than I'd like to be, otherwise these numbers are an amazing change from a few days ago. I still have two fans blowing in from outside.

When my current AV project finishes loading I'll try that MS update again and let you know what happens.

Thank you! Thank you! thank you!

Advertisements

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello again -

I started a new thread for the Microsoft update problem.

I turned off the small external fan which was blowing into the open side of my computer. After a while I checked temperatures again. Most things were quite warm again so I turned the fan on again. Temperatures dropped like a rock.

The "New and Improved" Nvidea card makes this computer run like it's new again. It still needs to be replaced eventually with a current PC but for now I can do everything I have been doing. :)