Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't reboot after running GMER to identify malware

• Please log in to reply

Ted H

Ted H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks! One more and then I'll let you rest! Once I have moved the stuff I need from the old installation, can I delete everything associated with the old installation, including applications, etc? If not, I won't have much room left to reinstall them on the new installation.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once the data is moved over and all your programs, drivers and updates are done and you make sure everything is working correctly then you just delete the old windows folder. When you get to that point let me know and i will try to steer you in the right direction.

Ted H

Ted H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, I'm back! I appear to have my Malware issue resolved, and I'm ready to delete all the unnecessary files off my computer to free up some space. I'm pretty sure I know which windows folder to delete (named WINNT on my C: drive...not sure why, since it's Windows XP that was running on the computer), but I'll wait to hear from you...the new one I created is named Windows0. There is another folder called simply "windows," but there is nothing in it except an empty temp folder. Also, I have a couple other questions related to old files.

1. Is there any way to locate my saved emails and especially email addresses from my old email program lurking on my hard drive somewhere? I was previously running a fairly ancient version of Netscape Mail (7.2, I think, but I'm not sure). I tried reinstalling Netscape Mail, but couldn't get it to boot up, so I uninstalled it, though the original Netscape folder still resides in my c:\Program Files directory.

2. With regards to all of the old folders in my c:\Program Files directory, can I go ahead and just delete them as well (in the cases where I have not reinstalled the program to the same folder this 2nd time around)? I know I can't uninstall them properly either through an uninstall program or add/remove programs, so I assume it's ok to just go ahead and delete them...again, I'll wait for your advice.

3. Finally, I assume once I complete the above I should run some sort of cleanup program to get rid of any files floating around that aren't attached to any programs...do you recommend a specific method? And should I run Disk Defragmenter at the end of the day?

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the easy part. The old Windows folders is what you need to get rid of. This will get rid of a lot of the files you are asking about.
Netscape is now Firefox's Thunderbird email client and yes you should be able to import the email stuff.
If you delete the folders in programs folder make sure you have backed up the data part first or you will lose it. After that then yes check [b]add\remopve=/b] programs first to make sure you can remove them that way first.
On your windows folder make sure you are deleting the correct one by checking the creation date in the window explorer.
Once all that is done then we can continue with the straightening up.

Ted H

Ted H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, I have deleted the old windows folders as well as a bunch of old Program files that I either didn't need or haven't reinstalled and don't need any data for. I'm still unable to find my old address and email files. When I try ti "import" from my newly installed Mozilla Thunderbird, it only has Outlook Express as an option, which I have never used before.

I will be out of town until Friday evening, so I won't be able to do anything further until then. Thanks for all your help thus far!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may help HERE

Ted H

Ted H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, I'm back in town, and ready to continue cleanup. I appreciate the link to migrating email/address profiles, but I'm afraid I may have to give up on that aspect...I just can't seem to find any of the files anywhere. Not sure if they got blasted during reinstall or if I accidentally deleted them somehow. Ah well. Let me know what further cleanup I should do at this point. Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How is everything else working now?

Ted H

Ted H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Everything else seems to be working fine!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All programs working and running correctly?
Speed good now?
Any other issues I might be able to help with?

Advertisements

Ted H

Ted H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I think that'll do it...thanks for all your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)