Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows security alert application cannot be executed [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

the1derfull

the1derfull

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi, everyone just couple of days ago while surfing the net and listening to music my hard drive became very loud and my computer froze, immediately i noticed something went seriously wrong so i hard-shutdown my laptop.
Then when i turned it back on, it would keep restarting over and over again and i would power-cycle it and it would sometimes tell me that it cannot find the operating system.
Now, this morning when i turned it on, it did a disk check and finally started so i was searching the internet to find out what could have caused that to occur and also if i could upgrad my hard-drive when suddenly, this message popped up at the bottom of my screen:(windows security alert) and when i try to open any program it would tell me that that program is infected and the application cannot be executed and then suddenly my computer became very loud and froze again.
Now i am back where i was the other day, my hard drive is very loud again and my computer keeps restarting
Thanks in advance for your help, you guys true saviors
Regards,

Edited by the1derfull, 16 May 2010 - 09:35 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there lets see what you have :)

Please download OTH.scr to your desktop
Please download OTL to your Desktop
Please download the attached Scan.txt to your destop
[attachment=41773:scan.txt]
Double click the OTH file and select Kill All Processes, your desktop will go blank
Posted Image
Then select Start OTL
OTL will now run

• double-click on the Custom Scans box and a message box will popup asking if you want to load a custom scan from a file
    Select Scan.txt that you downloaded
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open a notepad window with the contents of the scan - OTL.txt
  • You can either press the reboot button and after your computer has restarted you will see the OTL.txt and a further file - Extras.txt on you desktop.

Post the contents of both files back here.
  • Or alternatively you highlight Ctrl A and copy Ctrl C and click the Internet Explorer button return to Geekstogo and post the scan results back here. Once you have your desktop back you can access and post the Extras.txt

the1derfull

the1derfull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks essexboy for helping me deal with this nightmare. I downloaded all the apps as suggested but when i clicked on OTH it almost came up but quickly disappeared and everything else just closed down and the computer became loud and froze again so i turned it off. now i'm going to try and restart it again and see what it does

Edited by the1derfull, 16 May 2010 - 10:57 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK, there is more than one way to skin a cat - can you access safe mode ?

Do you have access to a CD burner to burn a disc ?

If you cannot access safe mode then ....

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

File details OTLPEStd.exe
Bytes=97,702,766
MB=93.1
MD5=FC1A07D156DE710955032B1CF7891671

• Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPEStd.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)

• Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Drag and drop this attached scan.txt into the Custom scans and fixes box
    [attachment=41774:scan.txt]
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

the1derfull

the1derfull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I started the computer using the CD but when i double click on the OTLPE icon a dialog box pops up wanting me to browse for a folder

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Select your windows folder

the1derfull

the1derfull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Sorry, computer accidentally got unplugged just now restarting reatogo-x-pe

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
One of those days Huh :)

the1derfull

the1derfull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I don't know if i'm not understanding you but when i double click on that OTLPE icon i'm being prompted to choose a windows directory and this is how it's displayed: My computer
RamDisk(B:)
reatogoPE(X:)
shared documents
and no matter what i click on i get a runscanner error (target is not windows 2000 or later)

Edited by the1derfull, 16 May 2010 - 01:02 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is it not seeing your c drive ? as that should show - OK rethink time

Download OTL to your Desktop (Firefox users right click and select save as ...)This is not an exe file

• Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /90

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.