Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slave Drive

• Please log in to reply

LadyPisces

LadyPisces

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello to all who are reading this. I posted on here before about me reinstalling Win98 SE and wondered if my slave drive was gone or not.....well, it's still here but now, here's my problem.

I've tried a program that would allow me to bring over files from my slave drive...altough it's not seen by windows, nor does it have a drive letter...but it's still there and have files on it that I want. When I tried this one program, after it did a search for files on the slave drive...which is a Quantum Fireball drive, it had the files name and how big they were....but when I copied the files over to my c: drive...they were blank...saying 0kb.

I really don't want to partition and format this drive until I have my files off it. Does anyone know any programs that could copy my files over exactly as they are from the slave drive....Or is there a way to do this in DOS?

Any help would be appreciated....Thank You!

(why do computers have to be so difficult.....lol)

Mell
:tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how was this installed in the new machine? are drives properly configured as master/slave or on two seperate ide controllers?

LadyPisces

LadyPisces

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have no idea. Gateway setup this computer when it wasn't working right years ago. I looked inside the computer and there are 2 different drives inside with one setting for master and the other for slave...i guess...how can I check about the ide controllers?

Mell

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
having a hard time following you....Gateway set it up?

Then why are you needing a second program...why not just explorer?

LadyPisces

LadyPisces

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi gerryf,...you asked "how was this installed in the new machine?" I guess you were talking about the slave drive. Inside, one drive has the setting of a slave drive and the other has the setting of a master drive.....one jumper going horizontal and one going vertical. I haven't touched the drives at all, so the drives should still be the same...however...now my slave drive won't show in windows...

When I said Gateway set it up....Years ago when this computer was messed up...I think Gateway Tech put this other drive and made one the master and one the slave....it was so long ago....I guess that's how it ended up with two drives...lol

I've read all over the internet that the drive will have to be partitioned and reformated...which I think mean wipe the drive out to reinstall it so that windows can recognize it and assign it a letter...I downloaded a program which will recover files from any drives on my computer so I can transfer them over to my c: drive....as stated before...that didnt work....

then you asked.."are drives properly configured as master/slave or on two seperate ide controllers?"...I have no idea what that is...lol!

Please let me know if you're still having a hard time following me...I think i'm now even a little confused... :tazz: I don't know if it will help..but the bottom is the original post I made about my problem:

Alrighty...here's my problem..I had 4 drives:

A: Floppy drive
C: main drive
D: backup drive ( I just used this drive to store alot of files, programs, documents, ect.)
E: CD Rom drive

I reinstalled Windows 98 SE and, of course, did not make a backup disk (didn't think I'd need it). I copied most files to a data cd and when it couldn't hold anymore stuff, I then transfered a few things over to my D: drive for storage. I figured it wouldn't be harmed because all I'd be dealing with is the C: drive. When I started in DOS, to format my C: drive, E: was not my CD Rom drive..I had to use the D:\ to operate the CD. Ok...I just figured this is nothing...just my stupid computer acting up....again. When everything was done and it went back to windows desktop...I did not see my 4th drive...which should be my backup drive. This is what I have now:

A: Floppy Drive
C: Main Drive
D: CD Rom Drive

I told my mom about it, and she said...it's probaly still here, but the computer just doesn't see it...like I have to find it for the computer so it knows it exist. I hope this is right....anywayz....Please help me...Is it gone????...Or is it still here...somewhere?????

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hi I'm kool808,

I need to verify on your statement that:
C: main drive <-- master drive
D: backup drive <-- did you mean that this is a partition drive or a slave drive(another hard disk) ?

Supposed you re-installed Win98, assuming that D: was a partition drive, it must have been sweep away when you re-installed it that is why when you got to DOS D: drive wasn't found. It is also possible that the partition is still there,however just hidden, a program like the (eg.: PARTITION MAGIC,fdisk,etc) can be used to activate this.

On the other hand, if there was another disk, try to check the IDE cable for there will be labels on it stating MASTER DRIVE and SLAVE DRIVE. C: (where you installed your OS) should go to MASTER DRIVE and D: (backup) shoud go to SLAVE DRIVE.

For additional informations, follow gerryf's advices.

LadyPisces

LadyPisces

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
:tazz: Thank You gerrf and kool808 for your very helpful suggestions/answers to my problem. I have found a program that transfered my files over to my master drive successfully.

Thanx Again,
Mell
;)