Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad cpu cooling.

• Please log in to reply

Lost my Lynx

Lost my Lynx

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey,
I've built a budget gaming system (Yes for £290)
I've had it for about 3 months and had no problems with it. But recently the computer crashes apparantley from bad cpu cooling.
I have set the fan to target all different temps from 40 degrees to 65 and still it overheats.
I'm using a AMD sempron 140 for my cpu with a stock fan.
I can stay on for about 5 mins then it just crashes.
Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we may be able to help BUT you need to explain in more detail exactly what is happening...

tell us everything you tried to fix the problem and what the results were...

did you add any new hardware or software recently...
get any updates for xp or any software just prior to the problem...

what are your system specs...
what case and how many case fans...

Lost my Lynx

Lost my Lynx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry I typed it breifly in my fit of frustration.

Problem in more detail:
The problem is that whenever I start up my system it rises above target temperature pretty quick.
The temp that is targeted is 60C and it's on temps like 130C even doing simple word processing tasks.
To fix this problem, I've repeatedly removed and reinstalled the CPU fan. When I did that it worked for at least a week also I read some article about bad power input so I changed to a different plug socket. I also cannot keep it running for at least 10 mins.

Recently added software:
Super Anti Spyware
Google Chrome

Updates to XP:
Installed SP3

System Specs:
AMD Sempron 140
Asrock ALiveXFire-eSATA2
Sapphire 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4670
Samsung 320GB 7200 RPM HD
VData DDR2 800 MHZ 2GB RAM
Alpha Power 650 W ATX PSU
Samsung DVD-RW 22X Disk Drive
TP Link 10/100 Network Card
A crappy Generics ATX Case with no case fans (Yes warn me about that, I'm buying some fans soon, with one front panel removed for extra airflow.)
Hope that helps.
Again thank you all in advance.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
130 degrees celsius? Are you sure? That would mean the processor is hotter than the boiling temperature of water, which is like, very hot indeed and the system would have shut off long before that point.

but anyway temperatures that shoot up rapidly quickly are almost always caused by two main reasons: lack of thermal paste (or substandard thermal paste) or a badly fitted heatsink. A Sempron 140 shouldn't get very hot at all.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I agree, add case fans and reseat the CPU heatsink with fresh thermal paste.

Lost my Lynx

Lost my Lynx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

130 degrees celsius? Are you sure? That would mean the processor is hotter than the boiling temperature of water, which is like, very hot indeed and the system would have shut off long before that point.

but anyway temperatures that shoot up rapidly quickly are almost always caused by two main reasons: lack of thermal paste (or substandard thermal paste) or a badly fitted heatsink. A Sempron 140 shouldn't get very hot at all.

I agree, add case fans and reseat the CPU heatsink with fresh thermal paste.

Right both of you thanks for your help.
I'm gonna open it up later and see about lack of paste. Am also buying fans today.
Once again thanks. (And Troy I'd just like to say that guide on building computers was awesome for first time builders)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I'm gonna open it up later and see about lack of paste

if you didn't use any when you put it together then there isn't any and thats the problem...
it may not be the only problem though

Lost my Lynx

Lost my Lynx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I'm gonna open it up later and see about lack of paste

if you didn't use any when you put it together then there isn't any and thats the problem...
it may not be the only problem though

Well it's already applied to the fan but I looked and can't see much on the cpu or fan. Thanks again for all your help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...videos on how to apply thermal paste

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Nice video... that's an interesting way to do it. :)