Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thank you 123runner, happyrock.

Don't mean to sound like an idiot. I've never had to deal with installing the operating system. Okay reset defaults and tried repair install again.

Got the following "Setup cannot copy the file" for mswrd6.wp_, mswrd8.wp_, write.wp_ These files were not listed in the initial repair install.

After that got the following bizarre message: "Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional disk and click OK." When I clicked okay anyway it went on to say it was looking for Data.MSI. I did not receive this message during the first repair install at all. And it seems a bit strange that I would need to insert the installation disk for Microsoft Office while installing Windows. I inserted that disk and it continued on.

Later I got the "Setup cannot copy the file" message again. This list wasn't as long as the previous reinstall most of the files listed are the same. Here are the files it couldn't find: icwconn1.ex_, icwconn2.ex_, inetwiz.ex_, icwhelp.dl_, icwconn.dl_, icwutil.dl_, icwrmind.ex_, icwdl.dl_, icwx25a.du_, icwx25b.du_, icwx25c.du_, icwip.du_, phone.ic_, phone.ve_, state.ic_, msicw.is_, msn.is_, support.ic_, msobshel.ht_, oobeinfo.in_, oemlogo.gi_, mouse.ht_, isp.ht_, oempriv.ht_, isignup.ex_, icwtutor.ex_, icwres.dl_, and trialoc.dl_.

Then for the second time in a row, I got this message "An error occurred while copying file blue.jp_. Cannot copy file to destination directory. Click retry to retry the operation or click cancel to" Same message for these files. sunset.jp_, waterlil.jp_, winter.jp_, beethov9.wm_, newstrys.wm_.

All in all missing 37 files that I know are on the disk because I can see them. Computer rebooted to Windows and Windows won't load. Not sure what's left to do. Wipe the drive?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...wipe the drive (format the drive) with a clean install
lowdown is here

Edited by happyrock, 01 June 2010 - 07:47 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Test your RAM before you install. Failure to copy files during any kind of installation can (and often does) indicate a bad RAM module. This can also happen if the installation media is damaged or dirty.

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool...instructions for creating the bootable disk is under the "Quick Start Information" on the download page.

Edited by wannabe1, 01 June 2010 - 09:14 AM.

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thank you for your help so far wannabe1 and happyrock.

Ran the Ram test. General and extended tests both came out normal. No problems. Formatted C:\ drive. Clean installed Windows. Intel logo still messed up on start up. Dell had sent me an e-mail with links to the exe files for my chipset drivers, Network drivers, audio drivers, and Video drivers. Installed Chipset, Network and audio. No problem. Sound now working. Went to install video drivers for my Nvidia GeForce 6800. Got a warning something about it not being windows certified or something. I figured that since these were the same drivers that were originally on the computer there shouldn't be an issue. After installing and rebooting, windows loaded and immediately got flashing black screen, cursor arrow messed-up-looking again, graphics started freezing on the screen again. So I reset wiped the drive again and reinstalled everything I had before except the video drivers. I looked on the Nvidia website and found link to download driver for my computer that appears to be windows certified or whatever. Not sure if I should download that or if my graphics card is bad. Or is it something else I need to do? One good note--so far always have use of the keyboard. Your continued help is appreciated.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I looked on the Nvidia website and found link to download driver for my computer that appears to be windows certified

first create a restore point...then install that driver...

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thank you happyrock.

Created Restore point. Downloaded driver. After rebooting, it reset the screen resolution. Intel logo was still messed up and after the windows loading screen, I got a black screen that just sat on the computer for about a minute before going into windows. Cursor arrow was messed up again and it began flashing slowly black. I reset it to before the video drivers were installed. What should I do now?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it may be the video card is on its last legs...
how does the system work just using windows drivers...

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Some of the graphics are a little messed up. Its running at reduced resolution, but the screen does not flash. I haven't loaded any programs to see how any of that stuff is working. And I haven't attempted the internet.

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Sorry. Other than that. The system seems to be working fine.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have a AV installed...if so, try connecting to the internet and update it

Advertisements

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Okay, installed anti-virus software. After sitting through 74 windows updates, went to device manager and went to update drivers. Found drivers for Nvidia Geforce 6800. Installed and rebooted. Graphics messed up on windows loading screen. Screen went black and monitor light dimmed as though I had the computer off but left the monitor on. Never got out of this. Should we conclude the graphics card is the problem? And should I start shopping e-bay for a replacement?

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Oh, before doing all of this, I opened the case and reseated the card and cleaned the case. About to wipe the drive again and reinstall. Noticed that after installing the video card driver I am again experiencing issues with the keyboard not functioning once windows starts loading. Odd...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
roll back the video card driver and reboot...see how it works just using windows drivers for awhile or...
get a NEW video card...not a used one

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Still researching what card is compatible with my computer. Will get back to you when I get a new one.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we'll be here... :)