Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Desktop just disappears

• Please log in to reply

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
FNP:

I'm not the one to tell this too, Janson is the one who approached me with possible Registry problems, I guess because she read my posts in the Malware forum, based on the Blue Screen and PC freezing.

I have no clue how to read or fix any Registry ..... period.

But thank you for the advice.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Right, that was just a general 'avoid this' for anyone reading this thread. You're good. :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Good, back at ya .... :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
FNP:

Question.

Having 2 different Spyware Programs and Defrag Programs on my PC, would it make things worse or is it okay for both to have ???

Thank U !!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Spyware programs won't matter as they normally are not real time protection anyway unless a paid version is used.
Defrag utilities is really a personal option but having two I see no reason for. If you have one you like why try to complicate it with the use of two of them that may not defrag the same?
Just my personal opinion.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Defrag utilities is really a personal option but having two I see no reason for. If you have one you like why try to complicate it with the use of two of them that may not defrag the same? Just my personal opinion. Okay, it's always good to ask, Auslogics is my defrag program, as you well know ... lol

Thank U !!!

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
FNP:

I have a question??

I thought that Essexboy and I were done with all that could be done about the Blue screen and freezes I've been experiencing, he and I had all but signed off on that fact.

I shutdown my PC and about 30 mins later, had to turn my PC back on, when I did, got the same freeze as before.

My question is this, I'm going to run my DELL XP Recovery CD to restore every thing. Is there something I should do or know before I pop the CD in.

Now Essexboy doesn't know all of this because every thing was fine until I came back on, so what I did was posted to him to let him know what had happened, and I figure he probably won't be back on before tomorrow.

Is this something you can help with, or anyone can help me with.

Thank U !!!

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
simplee55-

Using the restore CD will give your computer a clean slate, as far as the operating system goes. If your blue screens are related to hardware, reinstalling Windows won't necessarily fix that. If you're going to use a restore CD, you'll want to make sure you have the following:
  • A backup of all your personal data, including pictures, music and text documents.
  • CDs for programs and applications you use (e.g., Microsoft Office).
  • Product keys or serial numbers for any licensed programs (like Office or Adobe Photoshop).

Using a restore CD is usually a last resort solution, but if that's the route you want to take we'll be here to help if you need anything. :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
FNP:

Thank you for the information:

Let me try and explain about this CD. I guess when this PC was originally built, Dell put a ONE TIME COPYING chance to make a Backup - Recovery CD which is what I did. I would hope that all that you've listed below would be on that CD that I made from this PC, don't know.

[*]A backup of all your personal data, including pictures, music and text documents. I did that.

[*]CDs for programs and applications you use (e.g., Microsoft Office). I would hope this is on that Backup CD.

[*]Product keys or serial numbers for any licensed programs (like Office or Adobe Photoshop). I've listed whats on the 3 CD's I was given.

I've owned this PC for almost a year, a person that lived in my building just gave it to me. The CD's that were given are listed:

1. User Documentation -- Dell E773s Color Monitor;

2. Drivers & Utilities -- Dell Photo Printer 720; and

3. Drivers & User Documentation; Dell E773c CRT Monitor -- HTML User Documentation -- Drivers (INF, ICM & CAT
Files)

Can any of these CD's be used if I do the Restore ??

But on the other hand, since taking this route is not recommended until all is lost, I'll wait until Essexboy has done just that, all he could do and nothing has been corrected.

Thanks

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
NEVER MIND !!!

Edited by simplee55, 27 May 2010 - 11:15 PM.

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello:

I had to do a total systems Recovery yesterday and since back up I am having all kinds of problems. After the System booted up from the Recovery, there was a message that said something to the effect about the Resolutions, it gave me the option of clicking "YES or NO", I clicked yes. I'm sorry, can't tell any more than that. So I'm wondering if all these problems I have in trying to get every thing back to normal have any thing to do with that message.

The problems are:

1. Both browsers are too LARGE for my screen. ("see SNAPSHOTS"). Even though you can see the 3 tabs to OPEN, MINIMIZE and CLOSEOUT the browsers, it doesn't look like this to me, I almost can't see them, there not sitting right on the screen. Also, look at the Words on the page. Okay, look at my E-mail Preview, "Geeks to Go, there are some distortions in the words themselves, not crisp and clear. Before this Recovery, my Yahoo Home Page did not look this way. I have played with the page, by enlarging it several times, but other than this size, the words are just too BIG. Look at the Windows page, you almost can't see the words, not only are they too SMALL, it's not clear to read.

2. All the Icons on the Desktop, Toolbar and Systems Tray are too large. The Icons on the Toolbar were a tad bit smaller than these are. ("see SNAPSHOT"). If you look at the bottom on the screen/Desktop there is a BAR that you slide to see all of the page/screen, I never had to do that. If you look at any of the SNAPSHOTS I've posted on Geeks to Go, if I remember correctly, there was never a slide bar. The Icons on the Desktop never had Color under them, don't know how to get rid of that. And the whole Icon was small in size.

3. The Words on any web page, even on here at Geeks, ("see SNAPSHOT") are distorted and faded out, I can still click on any of them, but not right. Every thing seems out of sink, somethings are too big, too small or just the right size, nothing is coming together as they should, I can't get it back to where things were before the Recovery.

The only place I know to make these changes are to right click on Desktop, Properties, Advanced tab .... etc, which is what I've done.

Oh, and the way you see the SNAPSHOTS are exactly the way I'm seeing them, looks pretty bad huh.

Can anyone help. :)

Thank U !!!

Edited by simplee55, 29 May 2010 - 02:15 PM.