Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVAST warning of Virus [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have you recently i.e just before the crashes\freezes installed any new software or hardware ?

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Have you recently i.e just before the crashes\freezes installed any new software or hardware? No, absolutely nothing was installed, software or hardware.

On May 18th, I mentioned to you what was going on when that first (1st) Blue screen appeared, I was running the GMER Tool, while still running, I clicked on the Google Browser on my Toolbar by mistake, and every thing went blank, or blue should I say. And every thing from that point became a ripple effect.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
In that case could you uninstall Google browser and then re-install a fresh copy

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
If I freeze up or get a Blue screen again, I will uninstall Google, because I had just reinstalled Google about 2 or 3 weeks prior to all this happening.

Since those last events, haven't had any problems with the System. So I hope whatever caused the problems, are corrected now, don't know.

But Essexboy, if you feel I really need to do a reinstall of Google, I will ......

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hold of on the re-install for the moment and tomorrow I will remove my tools :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Essexboy:

I had another freeze this morning after coming up on the Desktop.

There is something awfully wrong here and I want to find out what, how, when .... etc. before you leave me.

I think I already mentioned it to you in an earlier post. Dell allowed me to make a FREE CD copy of my System, just in case I needed it to get back up on my Desktop.

It's a DELL XP Recovery CD.

I've never used or had to use this CD so I have no idea what to expect if I have to use it.

I guess if all else fails, use the CD. Wanted to mention it again in case you forgot.

Ok, what's the next step.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The Dell recovery CD will reset your system back to its factory state - so unless you back up your personal data you will loose them

Lets go for the Google uninstal and then reinstall. Let me know if that produces any change

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
The Dell recovery CD will reset your system back to its factory state - so unless you back up your personal data you will loose them. Oh, so this CD is like doing a Quick Restore ... got it.

Lets go for the Google uninstal and then reinstall. Let me know if that produces any change. Okay.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Oh, so this CD is like doing a Quick Restore ... got it.

More like a total wipe and re-install

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
okay, just did the reinstall for Google.

I guess at this point there's nothing else that can be done. I was surprised that the PC froze again, so hopefully it won't any more.

What now ???

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Now we leave it run for a bit to see if the freeze re-occurs - If it does I will look at some other elements :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
alright, will keep you posted.

In the meantime, do you wan to clean up after yourself .... :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Shucks you must be a woman - as bad as her indoors :)

As far as I can see there is just who crashed to delete - I believe that can be done via control panel - if not just delete the file :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Shucks you must be a woman -- WOW, how did you know, was it something I said :)

As far as I can see there is just who crashed to delete - I believe that can be done via control panel - if not just delete the file :) I will delete it.

Thank U so much for all your help.
:)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
:)