Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVAST warning of Virus [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Essexboy:

I did the Recovery but will have to come back much later tonight, I have to reinstall all of Programs and Tools.

In meantime, since the Recovery has been done, what is it you need me to do.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
So the command allowed a restore to factory settings ?

Once you have it all together we will have a look see at what you have on the system and whether or not the freezes have ceased. I am off to bed soon so ....

To ensure that I get all the information this log will need to be attached (instructions at the end) if it is to large to attach then upload to Mediafire and post the sharing link.

Download OTS to your Desktop
  • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
  • Double-click on OTS.exe to start the program.
  • Check the box that says Scan All Users
  • Under Additional Scans check the following:
    • Reg - Shell Spawning
    • File - Lop Check
    • File - Purity Scan
    • Evnt - EvtViewer (last 10)
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    drivers32
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /180
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
Please attach the log in your next post.

To attach a file, do the following:
  • Click Add Reply
  • Under the reply panel is the Attachments Panel
  • Browse for the attachment file you want to upload, then click the green Upload button
  • Once it has uploaded, click the Manage Current Attachments drop down box
  • Click on Posted Image to insert the attachment into your post

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Okay,

I ran the OTS Scan, but you didn't tell which Scan to run so I ran the Quick Scan, hope I did that right.

But before I post the Log you requested, after the Recovery was complete and I did all the reinstalling of the Programs and Tools, there was a MyWebSearch looking right at me, so I ran Malwarebytes and here's what I got.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Run OTS and I will remove the ramainder of that. Have you had any freezes yet ?

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Okay, here is the OTS Log:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that looks good - lets now get you fully updated and tidied

First : Avast is now at Version 5 so we will need to update that. Go here and download then install Version 5

Second : The Java you have is about as old as the Ark .
Posted Image Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application. Beware it is NOT supported for use in 9x or ME and probably will not install in those systems

Upgrading Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)JRE 6 Update 20.
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u20-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.(Vista users, right click on the jre-6u20-windows-i586-p.exe and select "Run as an Administrator.")

Third : The same applies for Adobe, if you only use the reader function then uninstall Adobe reader from the control panel (or use Revo uninstaller). Then download and install Foxit reader, this is a lot smaller, lighter and more secure. Deselect the toolbar options when you install

Once you have completed that can you let me know how your system is running :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
First : Avast is now at Version 5 so we will need to update that. Way ahead of you, already have the Updated Version.

Second : The Java you have is about as old as the Ark. No it's not, I already installed the Newer Version like you told me to over a week ago.

Upgrading Java: And so is my JAVA, already Updated it

Once you have completed that can you let me know how your system is running. Let me ask you a question since your the Professional here.

How in the [bleep] do you build a Computer with all the things that it takes to build a PC and if the person who purchased the PC has to do a total Recovery on that PC and the things that were on that PC when you purchased it, now are not on that PC after the total Recovery, what in the [bleep] is going on. Do you follow me.

I am having nothing but PROBLEMS with FLIPPIN piece of ___________. I think you get the just of what I'm saying.

The ICONS are too LARGE. The words on any page are either too SMALL or DISTORTED, or both. Can't do anything to make the [bleep] adjustments, where things are not SCREAMING at ya, or you flat out can't see the words. This Recovery is a [bleep] JOKE. I'm about to take this thing and through it out the window. I'm pissssed.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK the icons - right click the task bar and select Properties
On the first tab place a tick in the box labeled Small Icons
[attachment=42193:Capture.JPG]

For the print size

Fonts a small tutorial here

Screen resolution a small tutorial here

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Essexboy:

My browsers fit just fine, both of them, where they should be, but my Desktop is another story. After I came back up on my Desktop after the initial Recovery Process, I did all of that, meaning, RIGHT clicking on Desktop, Properties, Advance, Appearance and Settings. Look at how the Desktop came out.

Before I made any changes, the Resolutions were 800 by 600 pixels and that caused my Browsers to be too LARGE, now the Resolution is set at 1024 x 768 pixels, now the Browsers fit, but the Desktop is out of, I don't know what you call it. End of that.

Okay, let me try to explain about the SNAPSHOT. Here is how I was taught to take a SNAPSHOT.

I hit the PRINT/SCREEN/SYS/RQ key, that takes the picture, then I hit the Paint key, then I hit the Ctrl Key + V, that drops the image onto the Paint Canvases to make a SNAPSHOT and then, I ("Save As") as Attachment #, so I can post it ..... right. I can't tell you what has happened to whatever that thing is that lets me post that picture the way you and I are familiar with, well, see for yourself.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
OK the icons - right click the task bar and select Properties
On the first tab place a tick in the box labeled Small Icons. I did all of that and finally got every thing the way I want it.

Two more things I would like help with, if you will Sir.

I posted two (2) SNAPSHOTS, one of AUTORUNS, can you please tell me if all the Files/Folders that say "FOLDER NOT FOUND" are safe to DELETE ???

The other SNAPSHOT is of my Desktop. Look at the TOOLBAR, my hand slipped and now it's almost double the size. I did all I know to do to get it back to the original size but it's not working.

Thank U !!!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For the taskbar, right click the taskbar and remove the tick from lock the taskbar. Then move your mouse over the bar until it turns to a double headed arrow, then left click and pull down to the right size

An easier way to sort your startups is to use the following small programme

Download Startup Control Panel here
Instal and you will find a startup icon in the control panel - run this
  • In the HKLM tab, you may disable (be careful --> "disable") all the entries except your security software
  • In the HKCU tab, you may disable all entries.
  • In the StartUp tab, you may disable all entries.
Note : if you notice that some programs no longer run, you can enable them again by running Startup Control Panel, selecting the entry and choosing Run Now.
If you are in doubt with something, don't hesitate to ask :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
For the taskbar, right click the taskbar and remove the tick from lock the taskbar. Then move your mouse over the bar until it turns to a double headed arrow, then left click and pull down to the right size. I had already removed the check from "Remove check from the toolbar", that's how I was able to get all the Icons on and have already tried the double arrow pull down, didn't work.

An easier way to sort your startups is to use the following small programme. I have NO idea what your talking about here. Are you talking about the Autoruns programme, and if you are, are you saying that all of the "FOLDER NOT FOUND" cannot be deleted ???

Download Startup Control Panel here
Instal and you will find a startup icon in the control panel - run this
  • In the HKLM tab, you may disable (be careful --> "disable") all the entries except your security software
  • In the HKCU tab, you may disable all entries.
  • In the StartUp tab, you may disable all entries.
Note : if you notice that some programs no longer run, you can enable them again by running Startup Control Panel, selecting the entry and choosing Run Now.
If you are in doubt with something, don't hesitate to ask :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You can delete the McAfee ones, my apologies I did not see them first time I looked

OK try this Unlock the taskbar, and you should see a dotted line to the right of the quick launch items move this to the left. Then try to resize the taskbar

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
You can delete the McAfee ones, my apologies I did not see them first time I looked. Already did

OK try this Unlock the taskbar, and you should see a dotted line to the right of the quick launch items move this to the left. Then try to resize the taskbar. I've posted SNAPSHOTS so you can see for yourself, I don't see what your talking about.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you look to the bottom left of the IE window (on the task bar) you will see a dotted line move that to the left. What you have done is made the quick launch area too large so it has dropped down a line

[attachment=42226:Untitled.png]