Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista - Unidentified Network Issue

• Please log in to reply

kingofjanner

kingofjanner

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All!

This is my first ever forum post so please go easy on me!

I have just had cable broadband intalled in my home. I have set up my new netgear router and my internet works like a dream using my laptop running both Windows & and Ubuntu Linux. However my girlfriends laptop which runs on Vista will connect to the wireless network and the router config page can see it. However it will not connect to the internet and when i look at the network connections page it says it is connected to an 'Unidentified network'. I have tried letting windows diagnose/fix it which it cant do! Oh one thing I should also point out is that it works fine when I connect it via ethernet straight to the router.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
King of Janner.

Advertisements

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Disconnect the network and remove the netork from the preffered network list. Go to start-Run and type 'services.msc' and you will fine 'wireless zero configuration' right click on it and re-start it.

Turn off wireless switch and turn it on try connecting to the network. Also you can disable anti virus and re connect.

kingofjanner

kingofjanner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I tried doing what you said however could not find 'wireless zero configuration'.
After a little more investigation I have a little more detail on the issue:

I disabled encryption on the router and the laptop connected to the internet fine!

I currently have/had the encryption set to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]. After disabling encryption I tried setting it to both WPA-PSK [TKIP] and WPA2-PSK [AES] however this caused the laptop to revert back to the original problem.

Obviously I don't want to run the router without encryption so not sure how to get over this hurdle.

Any help would be greatly appresiated.

Many thanks

Edited by kingofjanner, 20 May 2010 - 03:29 PM.

kingofjanner

kingofjanner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I tried doing what you said however could not find 'wireless zero configuration'.
After a little more investigation I have a little more detail on the issue:

I disabled encryption on the router and the laptop connected to the internet fine!

I currently have/had the encryption set to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]. After disabling encryption I tried setting it to both WPA-PSK [TKIP] and WPA2-PSK [AES] however this caused the laptop to revert back to the original problem.

Obviously I don't want to run the router without encryption so not sure how to get over this hurdle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks