Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java Problems

• Please log in to reply

Help Pl0x

Help Pl0x

• Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, this is a common problem, and I HAVE looked around before asking this

Long story short...my Java messed up and needed to be re-installed

My first problem was error 1723 DLL missing, I fixed that
But now theres a new problem!

I have un-installed Java with add or remove programs
AND have also used Windows Install Clean Up
There is now NOTHING to do with Java in the list that these 2 things give me

I have also deleted Java from - C:\Program Files (x86) - C:\Program Files - D:\Program Files (x86)
There is now NOTHING to do with Java in there either

There IS however a Java folder in Control Panel\Programs - I click this and it says 'application not found'

I try to install Java with the OFFLINE installer
That comes up saying "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?"
I click 'Yes'

Then

A windows installer error message comes up saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

And it won't let me install java!

(I couldn't try to do it in safe mode either...I did the 'f8' command, and selected 'safe mode' but it wouldn't load past the logon screen, it would just restart my computer)

I have also tried to fix it with CCleaner and Registry Booster - no success :)

Help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

Help Pl0x

Help Pl0x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder

• * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

That didn't work either :)
(i forgot to mention in the post that i tried that, but i also tried again since you recommended that)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did JavaRa find any older versions still installed and did it remove them?
What was the original reason for Java messing up?
Was it related to some type of infection?

Help Pl0x

Help Pl0x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Did JavaRa find any older versions still installed and did it remove them?
What was the original reason for Java messing up?
Was it related to some type of infection?

No it didn't find any older versions
It messed up because I was making a private server for a game (just for my own enjoyment, no one elses) and it required me to replace certain java files to get the game up and running (i don't quite remember what files) then once i was done with the game...i noticed java wasn't working properly for anything else - so i went to reinstall it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try a system restore back a couple of days before and use javara then.

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

Help Pl0x

Help Pl0x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Try a system restore back a couple of days before and use javara then.

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

I couldn't do a restore because there is no restore points

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets do some other diagnostics.
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Help Pl0x

Help Pl0x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I go to start>run and type Chkdsk /r and press enter, then another window pops up and disappears within half a second
it comes and goes soo fast I don't even know what the window is...but it looks like it could be the CMD window?
But after that...nothing at all happens, my computer just continues like normal...i tried restarting my computer, and it just started completely normal

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you go to Run right click on it and then click on Run as administrator and this will give you the higher authority to run it. Try then typing in the chkdsk /r command. It should ask if you want to run it on next startup. Click Y and then reboot.

Advertisements

Help Pl0x

Help Pl0x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Run doesn't have the option to run as administrator
And it also doesn't have a 'Compatibility' Tab when you click on properties, so I can't do it that way either
I took a screen shot
Spoiler

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Advanced properties shows a box to check to run as administrator.

Help Pl0x

Help Pl0x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
its greyed out and cant click it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets skip that and try it this way:

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Help Pl0x

Help Pl0x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am having problems finding my windows disk
Is there any other way?