Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loud fan everytime i use certain programs in certain ways...

• Please log in to reply

JaRvEy

JaRvEy

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Interesting problem here guys....

Some background: I recently had a virus and reformatted my harddrive. I reinstalled everything and it was still not 100% clean. The major viruses were gone, but little things like LeechLLC were present. Maybe it was because i wasn't fully protected and reinstalling stuff. Anyways, thanks to RKinner I cleaned everything out.

Problem: Although everything's working well now, I noticed that my fan consistently goes into high mode in the following situations:
1) right away when youtube videos are maximized to full screen. (not when it's minimized off screen. not when it's on the screen with a medium sized video window + text + comments)
2) right away when espn videos are maximized to full screen. (not when it's minimized off screen. not when it's on the screen with a medium sized video window and article text)
3) right away when Adobe reader is maximized covering the full screen. (not when it's minimized off screen)

As for how long the fan will run, I made the fan go into high mode through each of the above situations. Once it went into high, I quickly minimized the window to clock fan-whir times. It was pretty consistent at a little over 5 minutes of loud fan-whirring.

As for how long the fan will run without minimizing the above scenarios, a pretty long time i assumed. I was planning to wait 10 minutes and then minimize, but the fan went to low after the same amount of time as if i had minimized right away like the tests above.

With the fan on low, i was curious to see if minimizing and maximizing would kick in the fan again. I clicked min and max quickly on Adobe and the first few times no. But on the third try, yes. And it did last around the 5+ minutes it normally does.

At first I was thinking maybe i need to replace or lube my fans. But it seems like something in regards to video or software applications is what's signaling the fans to go into high mode. So basically i'm wondering what's up with my computer? All this can't be good for longevity...

FYI:
1) The only think I've tried to do is blast out the dust from my fans. Now the inside of my desktop is clean as a whistle.
2) not sure which fan is whirring
3) maybe it's my video card fan? I have a NVIDIA Geforce 7600gt for my dual monitor set-up

--
Harvey Chan

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
"The fan and heat sink assembly on the 7600 GT is smaller than that found on earlier 7000-series cards. The heat sink covers only the GPU, not the memory chips, which, due to heat concerns, may hurt your ability to overclock the card. The card's small fan is capable of generating a fair amount of noise when the GPU is hard at work rendering 3D images, but the fan spins more slowly--and quietly--when the GPU is idle. This quiet operation also makes the 7600 GT a decent choice for use in a Media Center PC, since by the time the fan kicks in, you're likely playing music, movies, or games that will drown out the noise anyway."

http://reviews.cnet....7-31768928.html

Ron

JaRvEy

JaRvEy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Once again, Thanks Ron. I wonder why i only notice the fan now. Maybe i'm starting to care more for my computer after the virus...