Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bellsouth/AT&T DSL Removal

• Please log in to reply

docret96

docret96

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Within the past couple of months I upgraded from Bellsouth/AT&T DSL service to U-verse. I mistakenly thought the the tech doing the install would also clean my computer of the old dsl file/applications/software. I thought wrong. Contacting AT&T, they would do it for a fee based service. Is there or how do I identify all the old dsl files and delete/remove them. I know that by going to the control panel/add-remove option shows some of what I want removed but not all. I have to admit that I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous. Any assist would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Do those files bother your computer functionality in any way?

docret96

docret96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
On an increasing basis I'll get a pop up window that tells me updates to the old tool bar are now available for down load and of course AT&T reccommended that I let them remove the items. Other then that I would have to say sofar they do not seem to interfere with the operation of the computer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I'll get a pop up window that tells me updates to the old tool bar are now available for down load and of course AT&T reccommended that I let them remove the items.

You may have some unnecessary startups, leftovers from your old DSL files.

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

docret96

docret96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
well is I did this correct.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Re-run Autoruns.
Scroll down to "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects" section and UN-check:
- + "AT&&T Toolbar"
Scroll down to "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar" section and UN-check:
- + "" "Toolbar Component"

Restart computer and those updates shouldn't be bothering you anymore.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey guys I wanted ask Broni about

X "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdra64.exe" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdra64.exe"

This comes up as a possible infection on searching for it. What do you think?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good eye, Ron.
Very possible.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)

docret96

docret96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I re-ran autoruns and un-checked the files that you indicated. Then restarted the computer. I should know in the next couple of days. To change to subject rshaffer61 is correct about sdra64.exe. This and actually several other issue is why McAfee and I have been "conversing," and has since been escalated to what they refer to as a "teir 2" response. To be honest I have a 101 questions running thru the back of my mind about this and a number of other things. BUT I will give McAfee their just due and see what happens. Being new to this Forum, I figure you can only ask so many questions at a time... Anyway I do appreciate your time and assistance. I'll probably be back with more questions. Again Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could also start a new topic in the malware forum here on GTG and let our Malware techs help you out They are trained for this and can probably get you cleaned up before McAfee gets back to you. Just a suggestion.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
docret96,

You're conversing with McAfee concerning that and other files? Meaning you believe you're infected and you're trying to get help from them? Honestly, we should be able to help you here without escalating to Tier 2 support. I understand if you're already starting a process with them, you may not want to drop it, but we have some of the best experts in the malware community working on this site, and I would vouch for the capability of any of them. Before I direct you to our malware forum, I'd like to hear what McAfee is telling you right now, and what they've done so far.

docret96

docret96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
rshaffer61 and sari, I don't dought for a military minute the knowledge base and ablities that you and your cohearts have. I would love to empty the guts of my system to you and see what you could come up with. This current venture started with a phone call to microsoft tech support. Not being able to get critical updates automatically, even though my system is set to receieve them. Not to mention that the sdra64.exe and several other virus/trojans have made their way back onto my system not once but several times. I subscribe to McAfee Security Center with all the bells and whistles...but! Sari, give a day or two to collect my notes and to the best of what I can, I'll send you what McAfee has said and done to date. I have been a stout supporter of McAfee for years but over the past 6-8 months... :)

Thank you all for your support, interest and concern.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

Please follow the above instructions, and when you start your new topic in that forum, please tell them what your concerns are and the fact that you've been in touch with McAfee, who has escalated the problem. I'm quite confident that you'll get help, and I'll make sure to keep an eye on your topic.

Edited by sari, 18 May 2010 - 08:11 PM.