Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have no idea how it started happening, but whenever I need to reboot my computer it goes directly to the Windows Recovery Console. At the Compaq splash screen I have to tap F8 until it gives the option to start Windows. Anyone know how I can fix this so that it starts normally?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Probably due to the virus issue you are dealing with. Once you have that resolved and declared healthy then we can work on the booting issue.
In post 4 of your virus topic you installed the recovery console so it's probably from that. Let emeraldnzl know and he should be able to straighten that out. If not when done with him return here and we can assist from there.

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 May 2010 - 07:11 PM.

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello rshaffer61,

I've just checked with emeraldnzl and he is uncertain about this according to his last post:

http://www.geekstogo...34#entry1835934

He directed me to use the removal instructions at the Microsoft website, but I'm a little nervous about removing this program. Is it safe to do and what could possibly happen if it was removed? I'm not too savvy when it comes to computers. I don't have any backup software if I screw up something because I bought this comp from a friend and she couldn't locate the CD-ROM that came with it.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It sounds like Recovery Console changed the boot.ini file when it installed.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the resulting window, click on the "Edit" button...a notepad window will open (boot.ini).

Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for us.

Edited by wannabe1, 23 May 2010 - 07:00 AM.

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Here you go:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT

[operating systems]
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...that's exactly what happened.

Copy the modified boot information below and paste it in place of the current text in the boot.ini window. Click file on the notepad toolbar and choose Save. Close all open windows and reboot. It should (after a 3 second delay, during which you can access RC) boot right to Windows.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Wannabe1.. I had real life stuff today so didn't get back. Looks like we had the same ideal in the end.

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
That worked! Thanks both for your help! :)

Melanie

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are quite welcome... :)