Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need some sugg

• Please log in to reply

rolligator

rolligator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok i got this hp pavillion 514n pc it was was dropped before i got it ,now it will start up and run for a few minutes then it just shuts down and says its not connected to my monitor... this is a hobbie im not good at yet trial and error is my method but im noticing the heat sink is getting very hot...is that what may be wrong or would it be i need another fan please help im frustrated lol :)

Edited by sari, 19 May 2010 - 07:43 AM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
First thing you should check is in the BIOS for the System Temp (if you have that option HP are not the most explicit in BIOS options) it will tell you your cpu temp.

If your cpu is overheating it will make your computer shut down. A socket 478 like yours should run at a temp of 80 to 125 without a problem (the lower the better) if you see temps higher then 130 F (54c) then your fan and heatsink are either dirty or not working properly.

You can download programs like Speedfan or Core Temp (both free) and before you computer shuts off you might be able to check the temps.

rolligator

rolligator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok i will try this now my next question is i noticed the the black tray that holds the heat sink in secure is not so secure how important is this piece??? can i take it off and it will run? thank you for helping me up to this point

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The heatsink as to be evenly and securely set against the processor to work properly, if it is not evenly pressured against your CPU then the heat dissapation will not be even and will cause your CPU to either burn at one point ot continously shut down.

You need a thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink for the heat to be trasnfered from your CPU to your heatsink and then the fan cools it down. If it is not set like it is suppose to then your paste will dry quicker and not do its job.

So as you can see it is very important to have it on and specially well seated in its place. If you take it off your pc will not work and shut off almost as soon as you start it.

If you ever have to reset it i would suggest to clean the old paste and reapply new ones, never reuse paste after the seal as been broken. If your not secure on how to do that ask a friend who knows how or look on the net for video tutorials on how to.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The black bracket needs to be in securely, I would suggest to pull everything out and have a good look why it is not secure - it could be a broken clip from the computer being dropped, as you mention in post #1.

Or it could be a simple loose screw that holds the bracket in place, I have seen this issue a number of times.

Then once you have determined what the issue is and have it fixed, then clean off the CPU, put fresh thermal compound on (as above) and you're away.

If you have any further questions, it might be an idea to take some photos and upload them so we can see what we're talking about here.

Cheers

Troy