Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop shuts down unexpectedly

• Please log in to reply

Tikatu

Tikatu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I've got a Compaq C700 laptop that I've had since August of 2008. Warranty has long since expired. It shuts down without warning and without any rhyme or reason as to why. I think it's overheating, but the fan seems to be working okay, and I use a dual fan cooling pad as well.

From some of the other comments on the site, I realized I had to clean it out. I took it apart as far as I could (couldn't get the whole lower chassis off), and I did use some compressed air to clean out the fan, both from the intake and the outake. Not sure how to get all the crap out of the keyboard, but that seems to be dirtiest part of all. There didn't seem to be a lot of dirt inside... at least, not in the parts I could see and get to.

Any other ideas? I'd really like this to keep running so my kids will stay off my desktop.

Edited by Tikatu, 19 May 2010 - 03:15 PM.

Advertisements

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
This is not a software issue but more of a hardware fault - the battery and charging circuit all rechargeable batteries laptop ones get to become useless after x amount of charges. What is the battery condition? Do you get sufficient charge remaining for atleast 1 hour? Or also it may be overheating due to insufficient ventilation.

Tikatu

Tikatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I figured it was an overheating issue, though my husband said it seemed improved after the cleaning. (He was able to play his game without it shutting down.) We usually keep it plugged in, though the battery doesn't last more than an hour when we rely on it alone. I just wanted to know if there was something else that is causing the overheating, especially if it's still doing this after the cleaning.