Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SpeedFan questions

• Please log in to reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
My computer works well and I have no problem but I would like one of GTG expert to explain to me why some of my Temps are in the Minus(-).

Thanks in advance for your help.

[attachment=41879:Speed_fan.JPG]

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Because none of the HW monitors are perfect. I like Speedfan, but it does not always put the right label on the sensors. That is probably what is happening with you. Your CPU and system are probably 38° and 39°, or the other way around. The negative readings are probably due to no sensor and Speedfan does not know to just make is 0 or blank.

If your computer is self or custom built, I recommend you use the monitoring program that came with your motherboard. It will be on the utilities disk, or on the motherboard maker's website.

I actually prefer CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs. [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/"%20target="_blank">http://www.techpower...m/realtemp/</a>"]RealTemp[/url] for Intels is also popular, as is Motherboard Monitor.

You might try Everest to verify the temperatures (as it is able to put sensor to label correctly), then edit the label in your monitoring program. In Everest, look under Computer > Sensor, then wait a couple seconds for the readings to appear. Unfortunately, Everest does not minimize to the system tray to show real-time temperatures, otherwise, you could use Everest instead of the others.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Thanks for the info. I have been using Core Tamp for a long time but started trying Speedfan to see if any difference and was wondering why those temps reading were in minuses.

I have a Core Duo and in Core Temp they are around the same temp as in Speedfan (35c to 42C) for my two cores.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Regardless the program used, if it sees the sensor, the reading should be same because the sensor or probe is the same. The problem, as noted, is the program putting the correct sensor to the corresponding label. This is where we can expect the motherboard maker's monitor program "should" know which is which, and label accordingly. Since there is no industry standard for these sensors, it is understandable Speedfan and other 3rd party monitors would have a hard time keeping track of the 1000s of different motherboards out there.