Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't boot after microsoft auto updates

• Please log in to reply

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What did you burn the .iso with? Maybe a bad burn, try it again. Dell machines use F12 to bring up the boot order just so you know.

How old is the machine? Most newer machines have built in recovery partitions. Please try reburning the CD as per the instructions above again and post your results.

Advertisements

Estevia

Estevia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you, Diabillic, so much for picking this up to help me and for your advice. laptop is 2004.
I have made a little progress but still far from there. Here is my current status. I changed the BIOS to boot from the CD, burned the recovery CD and booted from it. (note the only way it will come up is when I hold down the on button while I plug it in. The battery is dead). At the Dell flash screen I hit F12 I followed FNP's instructions to the letter, got into the windows
xp professional recovery and all went well until I entered the command "sfc /scannow". Command was not recognized and I was careful to enter it correctly using appropriate / and space.
I tried it several times and even typed in help to find a similar command which did not exist in the help list. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.
Estevia

Estevia

Estevia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello, is there anyone out there who may be able to assist me with this problem? Thanks in advance.