Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive clone

• Please log in to reply

tcrochet

tcrochet

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am trying to clone a hard drive and norton ghost keeps failing. Could I just "copy" from old hard drive and "paste" to the new hard drive?

Advertisements

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
A little more information from you will get you more replies. Type of OS on your machine, type/name brand of hard drives involved, version of Ghost you are trying to use to clone with, etc :) .

tcrochet

tcrochet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am running windows xp. I am tring to clone a 40gb Western Digital to a 250gb Western Digital. I have the 40 as a slave and the 250 hooked up to a USB adapter. the master is from the computer I am using to do the clone. I have done this before with no problems. Ghost 2003 has failed 6 times already. I am trying copy and paste from the 40 to the 250, does anyone know if this will work?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Why not try Easeus ToDo backup. It is free and works quite well. (link in signature)
Also WD has its own software for cloning drives.

tcrochet

tcrochet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
where would I get the WD software?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I suspect it should work for any drive. It is generally for cloning boot drives though.

http://www.tacktech....fm?ttid=287#wdc

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Acronis True Image is what Western Digital uses. I use it to clone drives when customers want to upgrade their hardrive and it works quite well. I believe you must have at least 1 Western Digital drive attached to the system or it will not let you continue. (But I don't think you need to be actually cloning/transfering to a WD.

More Direct Link here... http://support.wdc.c...amp;wdc_lang=en

Hope that helps. :)

tcrochet

tcrochet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Was never able to clone the old WD hard drive to the new WD hard drive because the old hard drive had bad sectors and could not be repaired.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I use HDclone...
they have several versions...one is free and works great but its slow...the paid versions are faster...

I used norton ghost many times years ago...only about 50% of the tries worked ...I finally gave up on it completely