Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card for Compaq Presario

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my first time here, and I don't quite know where to post this as it covers several areas. I have been trying to install Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on my Compaq Presario SR5010nx. I have tried to use the live cd before installing. The Ubuntu desktop finally shows up, but as soon as it is loaded, the whole computer freezes up and I have to do a hard, manual shutdown. I have discovered that this is a serious bug in Ubuntu, and that my graphics card is more than likely the reason. Ubuntu has a problem with Intel graphics cards 82945G Express Chipset, which is integrated on the motherboard, which is Compaq Livermore-GL6.

I am wondering if I got a differenty sound card (nVidia of some denomination) and disabled this OEM card, would I be able to install then? And if so, what graphics card could I use to replace this one and upgrade. Driver is updated and current.

Specs for my Compaq:
SR5010nx (2007)
Intel Celeron D. 3.4 Ghz with, I believe 533Gh front side bus
Graphics card---Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family
Video BIOS--1295
Min. Graphics Memory-8mb
Max. graphics memory-256mb

ACPI x86 based pc.
Hard disk --160 Gb, 40 of which is recovery partition D
Network Adapter--Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

Please let me know if you need any more info. OH, BIOS version is American Megatrends Inc., 5.18, 8/24/2007. SMBIOS version 2.4.

I am running Vista Home Basic, which came on the machine.
I would appreciate input about the graphics card, and also if you have any different ideas about why the pc hangs up and won't run Ubuntu Lucid Lynx Live or Install CD

Sorry this was so long. Thought as much info as possible might help you help me! Thanks.

I would appreciate, also, a recommendation for a graphics card that IS compatible with Linux Ubuntu, if you have such info.

Edited by 6466, 20 May 2010 - 04:43 PM.

Advertisements