Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build

• Please log in to reply

sgrams

sgrams

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm looking for some guidance on diagnosing why I get no POST. The mother board is a ECS A785GM-AD3, the cpu is AMD Athlon II X4 630, the memory is Corsair XMS 3 DDR3. When I fire up the system the hard drive, system fan, and cpu fan all spin but nothing ever shows up on the monitor and no beeps from the speaker.

With or without the cpu, memory, or the hard drive plugged into the motherboard its always the same results. I'm thinking this is a dead motherboard which is new from Amazon, I've never had a problem with ECS or Amazon but it could be possible. Before I get an RMA I am wondering what I can do to insure its a bad motherboard, because this is an upgrade I have no other components to fit the board.

Thanks for any help,

Stan

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
ZIF lever is down on the CPU? I forgot to do that once, bye bye chip and mobo.

I would say try another video card if you have a spare since everything else is powered up. Could be a bad card, bad slot, etc. Your probably just better off doing an RMA on the chip and board. Chips very rarely go bad, but you should RMA it with the board just in case.

sgrams

sgrams

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

ZIF lever is down on the CPU? I forgot to do that once, bye bye chip and mobo.

I would say try another video card if you have a spare since everything else is powered up. Could be a bad card, bad slot, etc. Your probably just better off doing an RMA on the chip and board. Chips very rarely go bad, but you should RMA it with the board just in case.

Thank you for the reply, it just so happens that I just got off the phone from Amazon, the lady is sending me a replacement board (I didn't think of the chip because of no beeps at all from the board with or without the chip), the board will be here by tomorrow! That is some nice service.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
That's even better then Newegg! Let me know what happens with the new board.

sgrams

sgrams

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

That's even better then Newegg! Let me know what happens with the new board.

Yes, Amazon got the board to me within 24 hours...but I had the same result, no POST! On another forum someone suggested the power supply, which is new, could be bad even though I had power lights on the motherboard, the hard drive spun up, the DVD player seemed to work, the case fan, and the cpu heat sink fan all worked. It just so happened that I had another power supply handy and sure enough the system booted up!

I called Amazon and explained what happened, the rep told me to send back one of the motherboards anyway, there would be no extra charge, what service! So, now I ordered a new Corsair power supply because the one I'm using now is older and doesn't enough SATA power connectors, plus I also ordered a power supply tester. Of course I ordered them from Amazon!

Thanks for the responses,

Stan

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
could be the graphics card. You usually don't get a monitor signal if your GPU is dead.

sgrams

sgrams

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

could be the graphics card. You usually don't get a monitor signal if your GPU is dead.

Thanks for the reply. After installing another power supply the new system works fine including the graphics card, I just tried plugging in the first power supply as its not in anything right now but it still makes the backup UPS give a an audible click and a buzzing sound, of course I immediately switch off the power supply. It certainly sounds like a ground or short in the power supply itself.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

It certainly sounds like a ground or short in the power supply itself.

Bye bye PSU... don't ever open it up to fix it or use it again...