Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Check for consistency in NTFS

• Please log in to reply

aamomo

aamomo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All

I have read a lot of forums about this issue but still cannot figure out a right way to sort this issue. Can anyone help me?

The check for consistency in NTFS happens when I start the computer. I tried to skip the process by clicking keys on the keyboard within 10 secs but it does not work, it just froze there.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By this i take it you are getting the blue chkdsk screen everytime you boot up? If that is so do the following and let us know if it resolves the issue.

Check and see if the hard drive is dirty. Please click on START-->RUN and type cmd. In the new window that appears, type fsutil dirty query c: and hit ENTER. If what appears on the screen says Volume - c: IS Dirty, then please do the following:

Please check the following before proceeding:
  • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands. Please note the spaces.
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
  • chkntfs /c ?: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive )
  • chkntfs /x ?: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r ?: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query ?:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup. If the machine boots back up to the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter"...it should boot to Windows.

aamomo

aamomo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

By this i take it you are getting the blue chkdsk screen everytime you boot up? If that is so do the following and let us know if it resolves the issue.

Check and see if the hard drive is dirty. Please click on START-->RUN and type cmd. In the new window that appears, type fsutil dirty query c: and hit ENTER. If what appears on the screen says Volume - c: IS Dirty, then please do the following:

Please check the following before proceeding:

• If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands. Please note the spaces.
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
  • chkntfs /c ?: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive )
  • chkntfs /x ?: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r ?: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query ?:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup. If the machine boots back up to the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter"...it should boot to Windows.

actually I have a dark screen everytime I start. I tried to do the fsutil dirty query c:, the system told me that I need to have administrative privileges. I am the administrator of this computer so I don't know why I cannot perform that function.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you doing this in Windows then?
If so you need to right click on the Run line and then click Run As Administrator
This will assure that you are running it correctly.

aamomo

aamomo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
what do you mean by right click on run?
sorry i am not that good at computer.
I am using window 7.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes when you click on start and then go to <b>RUN</b> type in the command as instructed but before clicking <b>Enter</b> you right click on the run box and you should get a little window with several operations. One will be <b>Run As Administrator</b>

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 July 2010 - 06:46 AM.

aamomo

aamomo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't think I have that function. :) I tried right clicking everything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

How to Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7

Method 1: Manual

1. Click on Windows 7 Start Button

2. Go to All Programs-> Accessories

3. Now right on Command Prompt and select “Run as Administrator” from context menu.

4. This should bring elevated command prompt mode with full Administrators rights.
Method 2: Search Bar

1. Click on Start and type CMD in search bar

2. Now press Ctrl+Shift+Enter

3. This should bring elevated command prompt with full Administrators rights.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 July 2010 - 06:47 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Method 1 > a bit more detail:
  • Click on the Windows 7 "Start Button" (Posted Image)

• Click on "All Programs"

• Click on "Accessories"

• Now right-click "Command Prompt" and then select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.

Posted Image

statsgamer

statsgamer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have the same type of problem, but with another worrisome angle that I now have no Internet access on the computer. (I can connect to networks, but cannot get online. Obviously, I am posting this from another computer.) All of this started with the same "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" problem the user above described. The laptop is quite new and uses Windows 7.

I tried to follow the steps above, but when I tried to run chkdsk, I got the following error:

The type of the file is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>

I ran task manager and find 55 processes. How can I tell which on is the offending process? I tried killing everything that seemed likely and it did not help. I couldn't figure out how to turn off Microsoft Security Essentials yet. Task Manager doesn't list anything under "Applications" though.

Because I have (at least partially) the same problem, I just replied to this topic. I am new to this board and this is my first post so I apologize if this is not the usual etiquette. Any help greatly appreciated and urgently needed!

Edited by statsgamer, 28 July 2010 - 07:35 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
statsgamer Normally we would suggests starting your own topic but first I would like to ask did you try the suggestions in my last post and 123Runners last post?
This would enable you to run the command at a higher administrative level. Also even though your account as admin rights does not mean you have total administrator rights.

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 July 2010 - 06:50 AM.

statsgamer

statsgamer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I did not see a post from 123runners, but I did see your post and the one from Spyware Dr and ran chkdsk as an administrator.

Sorry about not starting a new topic. Will do that next time, but don't want to switch to a new one now for this problem to avoid confusion.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you are correct it was from SpyWareDr
Have you tried those instructions to see if it will allow you to do the fsutil command then?

statsgamer

statsgamer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes. Everything went fine up until the chkdsk part.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we need to try this a different way.
Try booting into Safe Mode and trying the command then. Safe Mode is by default the Administrator account.