Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"What is Earthlink IPClient?"

• Please log in to reply

Kit_24

Kit_24

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have done several searches on the internet searching for information about this program but I cant seem to find anything. All I know about it is that my Norton Systemworks keeps making new rules for it from time to time, and when it does this, it keeps popping up the little information window for quite awhile. I am freaked out about it, so I end up restarting the computer when it happens and then it doesn't happen anymore. I have it in my firewall as one of the programs that is configured for automatic access. But when it does this, I feel like blocking it because I dont know what its doing!

Earthlink doesn't have any specifics about the program or what it does on thier website. But when I punch it into google, all that comes up are forums where other people are posting logs from Hijack This, and asking if they still have spyware. I do not use earthlink, but I do have SBC yahoo. This thing that I am talking about doesn't happen all the time. But enough to make me wonder...

Does anyone know if this program is good or bad, and if I can delete it? I feel like my computer has more and more crap on it, even though I only install things once in a blue moon, and run virus scan at least once a week. I know that there aren't any viruses on it, but I know I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Kit

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Do you have a dial up connection for internet?

thanks

Kit_24

Kit_24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I used to have dial-up and now I have SBC high speed internet. Its just a strange program because every once in awhile, my Norton will go crazy with the little pop-up windows saying its making rules for it.

I went ahead and erased earthlink from my computer, I am hoping that will fix part of the problem.

Kit

calibrit

calibrit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello:

I am having the exact same problem as you. I recently installed Norton Internet Security 2006 and I notice that EARTHLINK IPCLIENT is set to Automatic under "Programs" on my Firewall. I have tried to block it, but it constantly sets itself back to Automatic.

Were you able to resolve this problem? If so, what did you do? And did you ever find out what it is?

I used to have Earthlink and switched to SBC about a year and a half ago. I deleted all my Earthlink files and software, so I just don't know what is going on. I hope it's not spyware or some other malicious program. I constanly run security checks on my computer and everything comes back fine. Maybe it's harmless, but need to know for sure.

Please let me know whether you were able to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Simon