Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Boot Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

ridiska5

ridiska5

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello!

Windows 7 x86
CPU:Pentium 4 dual-core 3.00GHz
500 Gb Hard drive 70 Gb reserved for windows.
2 Gb of RAM DDR2

Straight to the point. I can't do a clean install of my Windows 7 x86, because the DVD won't boot. The screen shows VAIO and then it loads my current windows which is windows 7. It shows nothing in between, nothing. Just the VAIO screen and then loads windows straight up with the DVD disk of windows 7 being in the DVD Drive. The cables are properly connected, the dvd drive obviously works. The DOS/Legacy is enabled. The boot order is correct, CD/DVD-Floppy-Hard drive.

PLEASE HELP, THANK YOU!

Edited by ridiska5, 21 May 2010 - 08:05 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Can your Viao boot from any other DVD? If so, you may have a dirty/scratched/bad Windows 7 DVD.

Can you boot your Windows 7 DVD in any other computer? If so, your Viao may have a dirty/flaky/dead DVD drive.

ridiska5

ridiska5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I checked, the disk is fine it might be the DVD Drive though. But can it still be the DVD drive because it reads Windows 7 DVD in my older windows 7 system, yet it doesn't read it when you restart the comp. and try to do a clean install. Thanks though.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Do you mean you connected your Viao's DVD drive to an older system, and the older system was then able to boot your Windows 7 DVD using the Viao's DVD drive?

If so, something may be wrong with your Viao, (controller/motherboard). Try resetting the BIOS/CMOS to factory defaults.

Have you tried a different DVD drive in your Viao?

Which model Viao are we talking about?

ridiska5

ridiska5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes it's more likely the bios, and it's to old to be reset haha. Well, I'm going to try to take the hard drive I usually install windows on and install Windows 7 DVD on another computer and then put it in my computer. Do you think that will work?

Thanks for all the help.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Yes it's more likely the bios, and it's to old to be reset haha. Well, I'm going to try to take the hard drive I usually install windows on and install Windows 7 DVD on another computer and then put it in my computer. Do you think that will work?

Unless it is an exactly identical computer, no, it won't work. The Windows installation routine searches for all of the hardware inside your computer and then builds a unique HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) specifically designed for that computer. It must do this because all of the basic hardware inside the computer needs to be able to communicate with the operating system, (without crashing it).

Thanks for all the help.

You're welcome. :)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Unless it is an exactly identical computer, no, it won't work. The Windows installation routine searches for all of the hardware inside your computer and then builds a unique HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) specifically designed for that computer. It must do this because all of the basic hardware inside the computer needs to be able to communicate with the operating system, (without crashing it).

Only in a Windows environment :)

Verify that your boot order is selecting the CD first before the HDD in the BIOS.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Install from a USB stick.

http://www.geekstogo...s...t&p=1786428