Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wierd shortcut problem in vista

• Please log in to reply

dara36

dara36

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Geeks,

I have a wierd problem. Some of the shortcut icons on my desktop and in the start menu dont work. Also the shortcuts in All Programs wont work.eg. Start-->All Programs-->Microsoft Office-->Word wont work. This problem is with quiet a few application including Office, itunes, Adobe reader etc. So to open any applications I have to go to Program Files in the explorer and open the actual .exe file. This does prompt that i do have all the applications installed and they do work fine.
Another thing is that the files related to these applications show default icons in the windows explorer.
The problem started after I tried to install Frontpage 2003 on my vista where I already had Office 2007 installed.
Also after this problem I am unable to uninstall any of these applications for which the icons have changed to default.

I dont want to reinstall vista or format my laptop.

Help me guys

Thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi dara36 ... :) ..:)

try system restore...go back to prior the Frontpage install...then reboot