Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is an Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)?

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I saw this thing called an Internal Solid State Drive and it claims to boost performance and speed. I'm not exactly sure what a SSD is. Should I get one?

This is the one I'm looking at: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820167023

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A solid state hard drive is a hard drive with no moving parts. If you have a pen drive, it is effectively the same technology except on a bigger scale.

As to whether you should get one - if you want to run XP on it, the answer's no. XP will eat them in it's default configuration. Windows 7 is better for them.
However they are expensive at this point in time so you may be better off waiting until the price drops some more.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
OHHHhhh. Cool! Thanks! :)

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Neil Jones is right. All a SSD is, is a gigantic flash drive with a SATA port instead of a USB.

And XP? Nah, XP was developed when an 80GB HDD was gigantic. Now we're looking at a 1TB drive and saying "oh, that's average". In other words, it's so Jurassically old that SSD's didn't even exist on the drawing board yet.