Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Huge Commit Charge and Page Frame usage

• Please log in to reply

oldpcguy

oldpcguy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello all..!! I've visited this site a number of times to read about and solve problems that I've run across. Now I have one of my very own...

Pentium 4
RAM = 4 gig
HD_primary = 60 gig
HD_secondary = 180 gig (?)

WIN XP

I saw a thread here that looked very much like my problem, but didn't seem to have a resolution... I only saw the original post and one reply...

This PC seems to be getting buried by page frame usage, and commit charge(s) for some reason. Thus, the PC is slowing down more and more... I've tried to tweek the startup file, disable security software, etc.. nothing is helping much.

Any ideas..?? Place to start..??

Thanks

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Download Process Explorer from my signature and post a screen of it open to your next post.

oldpcguy

oldpcguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Not sure if this is what you asked for...

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot008.jpg
  • ScreenShot009.jpg

oldpcguy

oldpcguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
They look too small to read... shall I post them again..??

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please

oldpcguy

oldpcguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I hope these are 'bigger'... Thank you for your patience. I'm having to screen-grab on the problem PC, crop them, send them to my Laptop, then post them here...

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot_X1.jpg
  • ScreenShot_X3.jpg

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You are using Avast and AVG. Uninstall 1 of them, that will probably clear up the issue.

EDIT: Also, I see the TrueVector service running which is used by Zonealarm. Are you using strictly the firewall or the AV/Internet Security package?

Edited by diabillic, 24 May 2010 - 05:42 PM.

oldpcguy

oldpcguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I noticed that... about the Zonelabs "True Vector" running. Not sure why.. I 'turned off' ZONELABS, or so I thought. I had been running one of their "suites" and it seemed to slow everything down. This was before things got REALLY slow. I'm thinking I should 'uninstall' it completely (??) Also, one of my kids (an adult BTW) installed AVAST after I installed AVG.. I thought I'd turned OFF AVAST but I see some of it's stuff 'running' as well.

Any suggestions on how to stop them from loading/running unless wanted..?? Is 'uninstall' the only (best) way..?? Thanks for the help..!!!!

Between AVG and AVAST, do you have a preference..?? I don't know as much about AVAST and it's features... AVG scans and scans email... not sure about AVAST. Or is there another option you like..??

In the 'old' days, I used zonelabs firewall on all my PCs... These days, I'm buried in what is "enough" vs "too much"... ie - I have the firewall on in my router.. in Windows... and for awhile ZONELABS...

Oldguy

Edited by oldpcguy, 25 May 2010 - 07:28 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I prefer Avast since AVG has gotten a bit bloated over the last revision. Even turning Avast protection off will still have the processes running in the background.

I would recommend removing ZA first, then remove AVG and see how the machine runs. If you have a router, theres your firewall. Unless you need to do some advanced filtering and rulesets, then you really don't need a software based firewall.

Uninstall those 2 apps and see how your performance looks.

oldpcguy

oldpcguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Will do.

RE: Software firewall(s)... I'm in the process of "attempting" to configure my wireless router (WESTELL 327w) to 'port forward' a port (80?, or other) to get internet access to a security cam on my LAN. I'm not yet successful, but.. when/if I am, do you suggest a software firewall or other 'security' set up with this situation..?? It 'seems' to me, that I'm configuring the router to only allow access through one particular port, to ONE particular device. Then I'm configuring Windows Firewall to allow the same. All this, and I'm "hoping" that I'm not defeating ALL the protection completely.

After I remove ZONE ALARM and AVG... and reboot, I'll report back...

Thanks again..!!!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
All the configuration is done within the router, has nothing to do with your PC. If you need assistance with port forwarding, check out this.

oldpcguy

oldpcguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well... I removed ZONELABS, AVG, AVIRA, and now the PC reboots itself every 4-8 minutes...

When it reboots, it goes to 'blue screen' with the "Hit any key to skip test..." and it won't acknowledge any keystroke... I hit plenty of keys... it still 'checks the disc'... boots... and after operating 'normally' for 5-7 minutes it suddenly reboots on it's own.

Any ideas..??

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
That's interesting...

Run sfc /scannow from the command line. Have your Windows disc handy.