Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Touchpad only works in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

monsterr

monsterr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys!

recently, my compaq laptop battery died. a message came up saying it couldn't hold a charge (at all) and i needed a new one. so i bought a new one. i let it charge overnight, and now the touchpad does not work.

if i load it in safe mode, it works. it also works on the windows log in screen. once i get to the desktop, it freezes.

i've found several other people who had this problem (from reading their posts elsewhere). they were able to fix it by doing a system restore...it might be a driver issue? but my system restore wasn't on...or at least it was, but i think the whole dying battery thing might have done something to it.

anyway, i can't restore the computer to a date earlier than the new battery, and i am at a loss. yesterday, the laptop wouldn't connect to the internet in safe mode. i am about to throw it at the wall.

somebody please save me and i will love you foreverrrrr :)

monster<33

Advertisements

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
What model is the compaq

and you should be able to get online in Safemode by choosing SafeMode with Networking, unless its wireless.

You can go to Compaq support and choose and put Enter a product number or find your model manually and download the touchpad drivers and install them and restart the PC.

http://www.compaq.co...pq_support.html

Edited by Bonk, 24 May 2010 - 10:00 AM.

monsterr

monsterr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
cp cq60-211dx

safe mode w/networking has been working...it just stopped yesterday (internet)...but it's working again now, so disregard that.

thank you :)

Tigereye

Tigereye

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Mosterr,

I had the same problem with the computers at my school. At the bottom of the screen, do you see a touch screen with a red x on it?