Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Advice? Change to IE 8?

• Please log in to reply

Alias775

Alias775

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I was here with another problem last week and you guys solved it wonderfully! Thank you for being here! You probably don't get the praise you deserve for being such a help to us PC Dummies!

Anyway, one last sentence in my reply from you was to change from IE 7 to IE 8.

Well, about 10 months ago, I did download IE 8 and had serious troubles with it. I didn't know about you guys then, so I went to the Microsoft Forum and WOW - it was choked full of XP pleople with IE 8 problems. It was so bad that I didn't even post a question. I just left and downloaded IE 7 again and went back to it.

So, my question is this: Has Microsoft solved those terrible troubles with the combiination of IE8 and XP together? Can I really download it again now?

I'd love to hear from you! Thanks so much! Alias775 :)

Advertisements

Alias775

Alias775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
This is Alias775 again! I forgot to also ask you if I do download and install IE 8, how do I save and transfer my "Favorites"?

Thanks again, Alias775

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Alias775,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

It's been a few months since I installed IE8 and my original install troubles ended up being due to my Online Armor software. Though I realize that may not apply to your case, but I just wanted to make a note that security software can sometime cause install problems.

Also, IE8 carries over your favorites from IE7 so you shouldn't have any troubles there...though you can back up your favorites first as a precaution.

Best regards,

dm

Alias775

Alias775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks so much dm! I'll go right this minute and install IE8!

Alias775

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Don't forget that Microsoft aren't the only ones who make a web-browser, you do have a choice of at least three others, the most popular of which is Mozilla Firefox:

1. Safer than IE because it doesn't incorporate ActiveX technology which is often used to infect your PC.

2. Updated much more often than IE.

3. Much more customisable than IE, and even more so with dozens of extensions and add-ons to choose from.

4. Faster than IE, though Microsoft has at last managed to close the gap considerably here.

5. Has a thriving, active & official user forum.

6. If you decide you want to go back to IE you can easily import your Bookmarks from Firefox, no problem.

The only time I use IE now is if I need to download from the Microsoft Update website which won't load in Firefox owing to the absence of ActiveX.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 25 May 2010 - 09:30 AM.

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hello phillipcorcoran,

Good point and I actually use Mozilla Firefox for the majority of my browsing...Even tried Google Chrome for a bit, but chose to stay with Firefox and/or IE.

dm