Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

Prominia

Prominia

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
So I am trying to get this power supply CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W but it is currently sold out everywhere apparently so is there one that someone can recommend that is similar to it or should i just go with the 1000w this

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With all due respect, do you really need 850w or 1000w?
What is your hardware inside your machine?

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

With all due respect, do you really need 850w or 1000w?
What is your hardware inside your machine?

That's always a good question.

From what I've seen it's rare to need more than about 700, even for most gamers (IIRC, 2 HD5770s require a 650w PSU, and with an overclocked processor you might need the extra 50w).

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Someone here recommended it and its better safe than sorry. I do plan on upgrading it for example another XFX 5870 and more RAM eventually. For some reason that power supply is sold out everywhere i don't think i need the 1000w power supply but the 850 seemed nice. I did not order any of the pieces yet. My system specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i7 920
Western Digital 1tb HD
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Sony CD/DVD Drive
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58
XFX 5870 Monster
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50

I was going with the 850w which i think is plenty but its sold out everywhere if anyone knows of another good one i would use that. I do plan on overclocking as well.
Thanks for the help

Edited by Prominia, 25 May 2010 - 04:02 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I think the 750W would also be plenty if you can find it.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
So the CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W would be a good choice?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yep, that Newegg deal looks pretty good too. There's a $10-off promo code and also a mail-in rebate. Take advantage of both and it'd be a steal. :)

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
thanks for all the help

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
One thing to remember about power supplies. If it is larger than needed, it will also draw more power than needed. For example, on identical hardware, a 1000W power supply will draw significantly more power than a 500W, under similar load. If you leave your system running a significant amount of time, or even 24/7 this alone should be a major factor in your decision. Especially if living in an area of high electrical costs, like California (USA).

Don't oversize your power supply. Be green. :)

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
And today I learned something new thanks for all the help much appreciated going green :)