Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing a stolen laptop

• Please log in to reply

hirow

hirow

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
In January I bought this laptop: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220635 for around $800 including rebate. A few days ago my car was broken into and the laptop was stolen. I've only had it for a few months so I'm pretty upset about it. I need to find a laptop to replace this one, with similar or better specs. I don't want to spend more than I did before, so I'm hoping to keep it around $800-$900. I use it mainly for work but I would like to be able to play some games too, like my old laptop. So far I've found this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220634 but everyone seems to be complaining about the keyboard, and I do a lot of typing.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by hirow, 25 May 2010 - 02:33 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Can you not claim off the insurance? A lot of providers (but not all) would cover it under household insurance. It was insured I take it?

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
It was not insured. That's why I'm looking for a replacement.

geekhelp4u

geekhelp4u

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
FYI - Many techs such as myself will have a look at the following website when people bring us computers to repair that seem like they may be stolen. Odds are still slim - but please report you serial/service tag to this site if you know it so that techs can track the stolen machine if someone drops it off in their store for repair!

Stolen Computer Registry

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you for the tip, I'm registering now. I do need a replacement computer immediately for work though, do you have any suggestions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I purchased an Acer TravelMate Timeline several months ago, and must say I'm impressed. Good battery life, slim, light, and runs pretty cool. If the 15.6" is larger than what you're looking for, they make a 13.3" for the same price. I like the larger screen...and Windows 7 pro is a great operating system for this machine.