Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

netsvcs services won't auto start

• Please log in to reply

netsvcs killer

netsvcs killer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello and thanks for the help, I've done everything I can think of and need a pro.

History: I was linked to some site that gave me an antivirus virus, the one that says buy our product and puts what looks like a green shield into the task bar. Was able to quick restart and force the task manager to stay open to kill the process that seemed to be running the bug. Worked but on restart it came back, so did the same thing and then did a sys restore in safe mode from two days ago. Popups were gone, but couldn't connect to the internet and some programs including itunes. Computer friend suggested Malwarebytes, ran in safe mode killed three, ran in normal found nothing but still can't connect and programs won't work. Turned off sys restore in safe mode, turned back on a created clean restore point but still can't connect and programs won't work.

I think I need to fix the damage the virus did but not sure how. I know that under admin tools, comp manage, service and apps, services I can turn the ones that should have started automatically on and from the clean sys restore it seems my computer is back to normal but only lasts until I reboot.

Help please, cause otherwise all I can do is "D'ONT PANIC"

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
What usually happens is the malware sets up a proxy on your computer. Then it forces IE or Firefox to send all traffic going to the internet to the proxy. Since it's a malware proxy it picks and chooses what goes to the internet and keeps you from going to certain anti-malware sites and perhaps sends copies of interesting traffic like passwords and credit cards to another address for harvesting. MBAM or your anti-malware software knows the proxy software is malware so removes it but doesn't realize that it's also a proxy so doesn't change the proxy settings on IE and FF. So now IE or Firefox still sends traffic to the proxy but there is no proxy so it doesn't go anywhere and you have lost connectivity to the internet.

To fix it:

In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, then uncheck all boxes and OK. Close IE and restart IE.

In FireFox, Tools, Options, Advanced, Settings, check No Proxy then OK. Close Firefox and restart Firefox.

In Chrome, Wrench, Options, Under the Hood, Change Proxy Settings, uncheck all boxes, OK.

Any better? If so follow the guidelines in the top post of the Malware Removal forum
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
and post your logs. If not let me know and we will try a few other things.

Ron

netsvcs killer

netsvcs killer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice, but it didn't work. In trying to do a windows repair, it got stuck in a loop and I had to reformat/wipe and reinstall everything. I had it all backed up so just lost a day or two of time but c'est la vie. Thanks for the post