Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application-Error-cmd-exe "cyyyqgt.exe"

• Please log in to reply

goldenbogey

goldenbogey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone,

I found this forum whilst googling for an error that was coming up on shut-down. I am almost certain that many people must be experiencing this error because I have seen it on both my laptop and my desktop and they are never networked with each other. It means that I am probably installing something on both of them that is creating the problem.

The original post I found was this one http://www.geekstogo...xe-t154486.html, but this was made Apr 6 2007. It didn't get resolved. I found a few other posts from other sites as well but they didn't get resolved either.

Description of problem:

When I shut down I come up with 2 errors in a row "Application-Error... cmd-exe" once I have cleared both of them it shuts down as normal BUT I have to perform the shut-down procedure all over again!! It is just highly irritating and indicates a program that is doing something odd to the system.

What have I done?

I have done some research and I know the process that is causing this error! I took a screen-shot of the task manager before shutting down. I then compared this screen shot to the task bar after I had cleared these two "Application-Error... cmd-exe" things:

It was cyyyqgt.exe

Sure enough - If I end this process before shutting down then it shuts down normally. The question is: What on earth is cyyyqgt.exe??

*something I have also noticed* When I right click that process on the task manager and select "set priority" it is set to "high". Everything else is set to "normal" or less.

I have googled this and it is not in any search engines I therefore have no idea what it is. I have mcafee and that has obviously not detected anything as abnormal. Windows defender picks up nothing either.

The questions I pose are:

1. Does anyone know what this process is (cyyyqgt.exe)?
2. Can someone inform me of how I go about finding out what program is running this process? I can then maybe uninstall that application.

PS: This may also be related to the fact that my auto-updates function is always turned off when I restart the computer. Possibly it is also related to why Windows defender keeps needing to be reinstalled every time I restart my computer.

Advertisements

goldenbogey

goldenbogey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Additional...

I have searched a little bit deeper and discovered some other strange things about this process, cyyyqgt.exe

It is buried deep inside the system32 folder as a hidden file. I had a job finding it because it doesn't conform to the alphabet sequence of the other files. It was right down the bottom and it has the symbol of an image file like a jpg or bitmap file for some weird reason.

I downloaded the Microsoft tool "process explorer" (that's how I found out where it was). Windows search only revealed the prefetch file (.pf) in windows/prefetch. On process explorer it shows up as having no description and no company name! Everything else, and I mean EVERYTHING else has a description and company name (Microsoft, Mcafee etc).

It says on the date that it is 04 08 2004 which is around about the time that particular xp professional disc was created. If it was a windows file then it would say in the company name that it was Microsoft corporation I would have presumed.

If I kill the process could I harm my computer or it might the process just start back up again when I reboot?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Sounds like a malware issue. Please visit the malware forum and read the FAQ, if needed please post in the malware forum and you will be helped by one of the experts there.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.