Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

resetting my windows vista to factory settings

• Please log in to reply

gonzalesa222

gonzalesa222

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im trying to reset my computer to factory settings and need some help, and i do have the operating cd

Advertisements

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Put the disk in and restart the PC....it should say press any key to boot from CD.
If it doesn't then you can either press a key mention on startup for boot menu or go into Bios and set the boot order to Cd Rom first save and exit.

If this is a recovery disc it will erase all data you have. Follow the prompts.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There are usually recovery partitions on the drive that require a combination of keys to start it.
Since you have not told us what computer you have (make and model), I can't give you that key combination.

Also as already stated....You will lose all data on the drive when you do this. I hope you have it backed up.

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,
Every laptop vendor have got recovery partition along the recovery key, try to press that and run recovery.
If this option is not available then try the below mentioned steps to reinstall the operating system from the scratch, remember do not try to change partition size or structure.

1). Put the bootable CD into CD drive.

2). Format the drive with NTFS.

3). Boot from CD and install OS on the same drive it was installed before.

4). Install all the drivers and check everything should work.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
123Runner gave you the CORRECT answer.
NO one can advise you correctly until you tell us the make and model of the computer if it is branded.
If it has a recovery partition, usually found on a branded machine, then the procedure is different to simply inserting the CD and reinstalling Windows.
THAT will NOT get you back to factory settings. It will ONLY install Windows.
The Recovery partition if it has one will reinstall all programs etc that were installed when the computer was sold.
That said, if there are any other problems, which presumably there are, otherwise you would not be trying to reset to factory condition you should repost in the Vista forum.