Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't get into my firewall

• Please log in to reply

irishsaint21

irishsaint21

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have a windows xp and when i got it i couldn't get into my firewall but i asked someone and they said i didn't need it, but since the day i got this computer the internet has been horrible i put in and installed a new networks card but i get kicked off and disconnected a lot so i thought it had something to do with the firewall not being on...... so when i got to get in the firewall it says this "firewall settings cnnot be displaed because the associated service is not running.do you want to start windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ics) services" when i click on yes another message comes up saying "windows cannot start windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ics) service".... i saw the other post about this but i did the steps where i

"Type in the run box

Services.msc

Scroll down to windows firewall Internet connection sharing (ICS)
See picture

Does it say it has started and is set to automatic "

and it says it's stopped and when i try to turn it on it says this "could not start windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ics) service on local computer error 1075: the dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion,

so now what?....pls help

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
irishsaint21-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

It sounds like the services that Windows Firewall Service requires to run aren't running.
  • Go to Start > Run
  • Type services.msc
  • Confirm the following services are set to Automatic and are started.
    • Base Filtering Engine
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • DCOM Server Process Launcher
    • RPC Endpoint Mapper
  • Once those services are up and running, try activating the Windows Firewall Service again and running the feature.
Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you. :)

Edited by FNP, 26 May 2010 - 09:55 PM.

irishsaint21

irishsaint21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey thnx

i don't even have these programs

Base Filtering Engine
RPC Endpoint Mapper

but the rest of the programs are there and running ok....

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Hmm... did you manage to get any CDs that came with the computer?

irishsaint21

irishsaint21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no i never got any cd's sorry

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Hmm... let me do a little research and get back to you. In the mean time, any of the other volunteers might have an idea. :)

Having said that, I don't think your internet problem is related to that fact that your firewall isn't working. Sounds like a trip to the networking forums is in order.

Edited by FNP, 26 May 2010 - 10:25 PM.

irishsaint21

irishsaint21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok ty, and sorry i have been stumped by this for about a year now :) i can't take the internet probs anymore and i don't even know if it has anything to do with the firewall?