Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Connect with Linksys WRT54G v 8.0 on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

luderdune

luderdune

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello -

Very frustrated user here, having multiple problems with this router. The SSID/name comes up in the list of available networks, all the settings are correct, and still it doesn't connect. Windows 7 troubleshooter is unable to identify the problem.

This also happened on my other XP laptop when I first connected it. I vaguely remember trying multiple things to no avail, but I think I was able to get it to connect after plugging it via ethernet into the router and running the setup program. However I do not still have the CD and the software is not available for download on the site anymore.

Also, I don't know if this helps, but my XP laptop, which still connects fine, will lose a connection when I leave it alone for too long. I will log back in from standby or hibernate and will have to reboot for it to reconnect - release/renew for example doesn't work, nor does anything else I try.

Are there known issues with this router? Or am I missing something? Help!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I just bought a new custom-made Windows 7 PC and my existing Netgear adsl Router from my old XP PC plugged into the network card and got me on the net straight away, no software installed whatsover.

For your XP problem, make sure you have SP3 installed as that included a hotfix for wireless "wake up".
If it doesn't fix it or you don't want to install SP3, a simple cure is not to use standby or hibernation.

Ahmed jama

Ahmed jama

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
:) :)
please i recommend that you go on the win 7 site and find if your router is compatible with win7
some routers arent compatible because of little things such as not having things that win7 has intalled for fast speed

And try a win 7 internet evaluation to see if your router as
most of theses things

my laptop had
basic internet conectivty
basicly all of the ticks except for 2 !!!!
:) :)

Edited by Ahmed jama, 31 May 2010 - 05:38 AM.