Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open USB stick

• Please log in to reply

Vlad30

Vlad30

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there, first post here :)

I'm having a problem with my computer, I can't open any of my USB sticks or photo cameras. And when it happens that they open, it marks all the pics on the camera as applications and I can't do anything with them. At first I suspected it may be a hardware thing, but I tried it on the laptop and I have the same problem there too. Avira kept saying there's a virus on the autorun file on each of them and blocked my access whatsoever, but even if I disable it, I have the same problem.

Can anyone help? I hope I don't need to format them, I have pics on the camera that I can't lose... :)

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Avast knows what it is talking about so you have probably also infected your PC by bypassing it.

Copy the text between the lines of stars by highlighting and Ctrl + c.

reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2" /f

Start, Run, cmd, OK to bring up a new Command Prompt window. Rightclick and select Paste and the above text should appear. Make sure you got it all and then hit Enter.

Close the Command Prompt window.

Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs
http://download.blee...Disinfector.exe
and save it to your desktop.

* Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
* The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
* Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
* Reboot your computer when done.

Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

Download and install AutoRun Eater v2.4
http://oldmcdonald.w...orun-eater-v24/

It will stay resident and prevent USB drives from infecting your PC.

Do as much of

http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

as you can. If a step won't work, skip to the next one. Copy and paste your gmer, mbam, otl, & extras logs into a reply. Do not attach them.

If you lose internet access after running MBAM or if you are not able to get to the downloads:

In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, then uncheck all boxes and OK. Close IE and restart IE.

In FireFox, Tools, Options, Advanced, Settings, check No Proxy then OK. Close Firefox and restart Firefox.

In Chrome, Wrench, Options, Under the Hood, Change Proxy Settings, uncheck all boxes, OK.

Ron