Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows components

• Please log in to reply

ihavenews0cks

ihavenews0cks

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi guys :)

It seems like I am always having trouble with one computer or another. This time it's the family computer, not my fault.

My brother was trying to uninstall Windows Messenger because everytime the computer started it logged him in. Instead of just changing the Messenger settings or asking for help he want into Add or Remove programs > Add/Remove Windows components and checked everything other than Messenger.
Messenger has since disappeared but little things have stuffed up now. There is no longer anything in the Games folder, Entertainment folder, the volume control in the taskbar has been removed and when you open IE it says 'IE is running without add-ons'.

I think I have fixed the add-ons problem. I just deleted and made next shortcuts, that seemed to work. I tried to check 'Place volume icon in the task bar' in the sound settings but the error message 'Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it use the Add/remove programs in Control Panel'.

I'm rather stuck with what to do.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You already have the answer..

Open Control Panel.

Go to Add/Remove Programs

Click on "windows Programs (something like that) on the left panel.

Put a check mark beside everything you need and install. Have your XP cd handy.

Murray

ihavenews0cks

ihavenews0cks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Mmm, problem is I don't have the XP disk. They didn't give it to us when we bought it, I only have the serial number attached to the side of the hard drive.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What kind of machine is it? They should be able to send you a new CD if you have the correct license key attached to the machine.

ihavenews0cks

ihavenews0cks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
HP Compaq...

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Model?

ihavenews0cks

ihavenews0cks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I managed to borrow an XP disc off a friend, so everything is back to normal.
Thanks.