Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook "hangs" (not responding)

• Please log in to reply

KenPC

KenPC

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have Outlook 2003 and up until the last couple of months it worked fine. Recently it has started to "hang" a lot (becomes not responsive) especially when I have opened an e-mail and then try to close that same opened e-mail (seems to happen with all types of e-mail, text or HTML. I have Outlook configured to only send/receive once per hour, so that is not really the issue in this situation (Outlook does however really hog the CPU during send/receive though, but that is a different issue).

I am running Windows XP with SP3 and all of the current Microsoft updates/patches installed. It never seems to be a CPU power issue (task manager is usually less than 10%), I have 2GB of physical memory and up to 9GB of page swap space. I am using McAfee 2010 Total Protection with anti-spam turned on and I have done a full system scan (viruses and spyware) with no problems showing up. Sometimes if I wait long enough (several minutes) it will close the opened e-mail and other times I have to use task manager to "end" outlook and then restart it to get around the "hanging" problem. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with outlook (or any other office app open) click on help, then detect and repair. check both boxes and press ok (it will ask you to close outlook or whatever you have open, do that). let that run (can take a while), see if that helps.

have you always had mcafee total protection? or is that new? has it updated recently?

KenPC

KenPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
hi ... thanks for the suggestion. I did the "help" > "detect and repair" as you suggested and it ran for about 10 minutes requesting my office install CD which I provided. It seems to have run successfully and so far Outlook is now performing OK (opened e-mails close with no problem). If it starts to misbehave again, I will update this post. Thanks again

KenPC

KenPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi ... The "hang" problem is back .... same as before. When I open an e-mail message, the outlook window and the e-mail message window stop responding. Seems to be more often if I click a link that is contained in the e-mail, but it also happens if I just open an e-mail and then try to close it. However, some e-mail messages seem to work fine, so there is no consistent pattern to the "hanging". The forced shutdown of outlook and the e-mail message window using task manager is the only way I have been able to get around this problem.

I have all of the Microsoft Win XP updates installed and I am using 2010 McAfee Total Protection security with all current updates. However, for what it is worth, I am also experiencing an inability to shutdown Win XP gracefully (see post in "operating systems>>Windows XP")... not sure if that could be a contributing factor.

Anymore suggestions?? Thanks, Ken

charliebenz

charliebenz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

There are various reasons behind outlook hanging issue.

1. Using older version of outlook like 97, 2002 2003 then you only get 2 GB storage capacity. However PST file cross the limitation then start hanging and corrupting PST and archive email files. 

2. Updating issue: During the updating Microsoft office, outlook email files get converted older to new, so in that case outlook start hanging.

3. Antivirus restrictions: Sometimes antivirus security creates problem during sending and receiving emails, because of antivirus security option turned on.

For more info and free solution click here: http://www.msoutlook...anging-problem/