Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating a bootable windows xp home cd

• Please log in to reply

Brujo

Brujo

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello everyone... I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 5100 , it came with windows xp home. I've lost my windows cd. It's an old computer and for the last 2 years it's been giving me problems. Of course , i have other computers available . But this is the one that experiment on before i apply it to my other computers. I do have my driver cd and original key (bottom of comp).

I found this thread here : geekstogo
I'd like to know if i can use this to make a bootable windows cd. If i create it on a working dell computer can i installe windows on my non-working dell inspiron 5100?

thank you for any help..

I forgot to mentioned that it originally came with windows xp home sp1

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I've never had a Dell PC but you may run into problems if you create an installation CD or a disk-image from a working Dell and then try to use that CD or disk-image on your Dell 5100 if both computers are not the same model.

Were it me, I would feel compelled to give it a try to find out what happens. It can't do any harm and it's the only sure way of knowing if it will work.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
quick question...exactly what problems are you having...if its malware related you may just be creating a reinstall cd that contains the same problem your experiencing now ...
can you boot into safe mode and use the computer without the issue...
no...then why not try a repair install of Windows...for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

Edited by happyrock, 28 May 2010 - 12:13 PM.

Brujo

Brujo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
At some point the computer got a virus and i didn't know how to get rid of it. I didn't know much about computers (not that i'm an expert now )so i took it to a shop to repair. I took my windows xp cd . The day after , they called me and i found out that they installed a illegal windows xp pro . I was told that my cd didn't worked and it was probably corrupted or damaged. I wasn't very happy but nothing i could do . It worked fine for a few years then i got a problem with the regestry, malware, virus you name it.So, I stored it for until i decided to fix it

I fixed the regestry(i couldn't connect to the internet..wired)The wiresless didn't worked. It got pretty slow. The DNS part didn't work . I always connected by the private ip. Instead of having an ip of 192.... i got 162?...

A Few days ago i fixed that problem. Still very slow, i run malwarebytes and got rid of a virus..

I want a legal copy . I found this page about a year ago I wanted to tried it on a desktop. I did the procedure but when i was about to burned it, I couldn't . A cd wasn't big enough ,I needed a dvd but my recorded was a cd.
This is the page i'm talking about Bootable windows cd
Now i get the massage that my windows xp is counterfit .

Anything i can do?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep ...buy a copy of xp...

Brujo

Brujo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
yeah!! any other ideas ... that procedure will it work?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Yes it will because you will have a genuine copy with the correct key.

Brujo

Brujo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i am gonna try anyway and see what happens. if it doesn't too bad. I can always try ubuntu or other open source. thanks

123runner i won't be making it from my laptop . I am going to try and make it from a desktop and then install it in my inspiron laptop. what's the worst it can happen?

thanks