Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Reporting Codes - any idea?

• Please log in to reply

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello again,

The Toshiba will be utilized quite a bit this weekend so that is the good new. Anything "pops up" I'll let you know immediately. Many thanks for your expertise, patience and cooperation!
You're #1 in my books.

Best regards,
Mike

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
;) :D

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello my friend,

Just a quick update.
The Toshiba is running much cooler so that is good new - thanks.

FYI - after running System Mechanic the end result is the memory is still running between 37-41% and I believe this could be part of the problem why the initial blue screen was affecting start-up. We also received a start-up warning that Windows Recovered from a serious error. This seems to happen when System Mechanic is not run (it's an operation that recommends to be deployed every few days of use).
Not sure if this is a direct reflection on low virtual memory or not. But as you know I ran the RAM test separately on each stick over 20 times each without any errors. So there is still a glitch somewhere within the OP or hardware. Any ideas?

Many thanks for the time and effort you have spent with me and the Toshiba.

Best regards,
Mike

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first I want to look at some possible problems.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Here you go!

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=23920009

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK after looking over the report I would like you to check the following and we will continue then.
ok I need you to do the following and let me know what it says

Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK.....3 out of the 4 were DMA and the one that wasn't was changed.
Rebooting now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello again,

Thinks turned for the worse after the DMA was changed and the machine was turned off for the evening. The restart was a nightmare with OS start up and immediate shut shut down. This went on countless times before it finally started and displayed the full desk top. Then the machine ran so slow it was nearly impossible to navigate anywhere on the web (not the connect or provider).
I had a chance to run a Blue Screen program to check what it could be and I may have found out the problem. Remember I stated the memory was low while running System Mechanic? Please see the attached (run last evening) and advise your thoughts - thanks!

Best regards,
Mike

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's only showing the video card as having a problem.
If it is a problem with the settings as dma change the one back to what it was :D

Advertisements

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello again,

After review DMA interaction with the OP all should be on DMA with a number in the secondary notifying the speed (higher the number the better - 1 through 5). However, only one has a number. It's been crashing so I need to get involved with the Toshiba first hand again. Thought I'd bring you up to speed with my current condition.

Thanks,
Mike

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and I anxiously await your results from Toshiba.
I would ask them about the video card results from post 39 you attached.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello again,

Toshiba requested $$$$ to advise with no guarantees due to out of warranty. No way I was going to have the local shop try to figure it out because the price would start at $99.00 and not worth it. So everything fell by the road side for many weeks. I fired it up again over the weekend and it crashed so an unstable motherboard is my best theory. The 15.6 screen is salvageable though. Many thanks for you help and assistance. It sure pays to buy a small business laptop that's tough like the one I own.
I sincerely appreciate the time you have spent with me on this problem and we gave it our best shot.
FYI - the unit in question was built at the Toshiba factory too!!

Thanks again,
Mike

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK at this point a full format and reinstall would be the only suggestion I can offer. We have exhausted all other attempts.
I'm sorry I could not help resolve your issue but it could be a faulty motherboard as you said. :D