Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is This A Good Low-Budget 2D-MMORPG Server Computer?

• Please log in to reply

kfr

kfr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi my name is Kelsey and I am an independant game developer. I'm working on an MMO style 2d-RPG right now and I'm looking for a good entry build that should support me and my game for awhile. I'm using TCP/IP based server and client communication. I went into my local MicroCenter and asked around for a good build here is what they suggested:

Processor: Intel i7 930.
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R.
RAM: OCZ Obsidian DDR3 Triple channel 1600 (3x 2Gb).
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500Gb 7200rpm (4x) - Setting up RAID 1+0.
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts 650w.
CD-ROM/DVD Burner: Samsung 22x - I don't need this to be fancy, using this to install software only.
Graphics Card: Nvidia GT 210 - I will not be doing much with graphics so I went with this.
Internal Hot Swap Rack: Kingwin SATA HotSwap Rack (x4).
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro.
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 922m ATX.

Is this a good starting point?

Edited by kfr, 31 May 2010 - 10:01 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome, sorry for the delay.

The biggest issue I see here is the Kingwin SATA Hotswap rack - why is this needed? Will you be hotswapping hard drives?

If the server is using TCP/IP as the main communication then I would be sure to have dual gigabit capability.

kfr

kfr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Troy thanks for the reply. Yes I will be hotswapping if a hard drive goes down so I do not have to shut down the server to switch them out.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi kfr.
If you are in the UK, before you buy from Microstore, use this site, http://www.staticice.co.uk/ to get price comparisons.