Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some dll. files are missing from C:\WINDOWS\system32

• Please log in to reply

LoneWolf217

LoneWolf217

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Some dll files are missing from C:\WINDOWS\system32. One of them that I noticed missing is SetupAssistant.dll. I don't know what other files are missing but how can I re-obtain some of these files? I have tried running System Restore but it doesn't recover the files.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Go to Start > Run ("Start Search" in Vista). Type:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit without leaving a message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see a file called CBS.log.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post the download link.

################

If you don't have Windows CD:
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running System File Checker.
Note: This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go to Start > Run ("Start Search" in Vista). Type:
regedit
Click OK (Enter in Vista).

Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entry values on the right hand side.
The one we want is called SourcePath.
It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D:. That is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to C:.
Double-click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:.
Close the Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Credit to Broni for the instructions.