Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i restore my window 7 to factory setting?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

shan78

shan78

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I got a trojan and it infected some of my system files so my window update wont work, cant get google chrome to work or firefox. someone please help as i am getting a blue screen up and it keeps restarting

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
shan78-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I suggest taking a look at the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system. If that doesn't solve your problem, post a new thread in the Removal Help for Virus, Malware, Rootkit, Search Redirect Forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to this thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

shan78

shan78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK thank you i wll give it a try now.

antechmrt

antechmrt

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Can you boot normally?

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
When you first install Windows 7, it should prompt you to create backup CDs/DVDs just in case something like this happens. Did you make them? If so, insert them in the drive, and it should give you instructions on what to do.
If you don't have backup discs created, the best thing to do if you want to get all your files and/or history erased is to reformat the drive. Don't simply delete anything! Contrary to popular belief, deleting files is only temporary, and anyone who knows what they're doing would be able to access your files, just as if they had never been deleted.
I'm assuming that you've had the computer a very short time, yes? Otherwise they wouldn't take it back. Really though, I don't think anyone would take the time to look at your files, but thumbs up on playing it safe.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please follow FNP's advice only