Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Schedule Page Change

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Just wondering if it's possible to schedule a web page to change on a certain date or at a certain time.

Example: Let's say I had a personal web site and on one of the pages I was, on my contact page, posting my personal phone number between the hours of 2pm and 6pm on Friday the 13th of June. Is it possible to schedule the phone number to display only during that four-hour window on that particular day?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
I found a fix. I know there is a way to scedule the changes as I mentioned before, but I'm not sure how to write the code. For now, I made a batch file that transfers a new version of the page and a second batch file that transfers the original version of the page. Then, I used Windows Task Scheduler to schedule the batch files to run. The first batch file runs at the starting time for the update and pushes the new verson of the web page out. Later, at the ending time, the second batch file is scheduled to run. It replaces the new web pag code with the original.

Not exactly the best way to get this done, but it works. Tested OK.

Thanks,

Magus

xmephistox

xmephistox

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Javascript should be able to handle this. Google for some good javascript resources, they usually have loads of free scripts.
Although on second thought, you want it to be YOUR time and not the time of your visitor who might be in a different time zone.
In that case it gets a bit more complicated.

Edited by xmephistox, 07 June 2010 - 10:41 PM.