Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to change computer manufacturer information

• Please log in to reply

ragina

ragina

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I want to use Lenova VeriFace software.But it controls computer's manufacturer information before the program start.It says "This software can be installed only on lonova computers".

There is an easy trick which ı used it before but ı can't remember.In someway we can change the manufacturer information of computer.

Please help me.

I try to a registry change HKLM/software/microsoft/currentuser/oeminformation but it doesnt work.

How is this program can detect my computer model ? From mac ID or a registry ?

Please helpme.
Sorry for my bad english : S
Thanks..

Edit: It's not illagel because it's a free software and ı bought a lonovo laptop but ı also want to use this software
with my other laptop.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It identifies the make of your computer from an ID chip soldered on to the motherboard, nothing to do with any Windows files or the Windows Registry. There is no way you can 'fool' the Veriface software in to thinking it's a Lenovo PC.

I also wish to disagree with you. What you're trying to do is technically illegal. The software was supplied for your Lenovo laptop, not for any other brand. Even free software has an end-user licence agreement (EULA) with certain rules & restrictions attached to it. So just because it's free don't assume you can do what you like with it.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What you are referring to is the DMI.

To answer the legality question, it is probably not illegal to modify your DMI, although running that particular software on non Lenovo hardware probably violates the EULA.

As of now, since I cannot confirm whether your request violates your manufacturers EULA or the Veriface EULA, I cannot help you with this.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Edit: It's not illagel because it's a free software and ı bought a lonovo laptop but ı also want to use this software
with my other laptop.

The software is licenced only for the Lenovo laptop. Therefore you will be unable to use it on any other laptop.
Nothing you do in the registry or anywhere will change this behaviour.