Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Services not starting automatically (DHCP, Themes, Windows

• Please log in to reply

savache27

savache27

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Last week I started my work computer and got the message that it could not connect to the network drive. We finally figured out that the DHCP client was not started. Once I was connected to the network, I ran malwarebytes and there was one registry key infected as well as 2 registry values:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\avsoft (Trojan.Fraudpack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\obfelegl (Rogue.AntivirusSuite.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\obfelegl (Rogue.AntivirusSuite.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I also noticed that I had the classic windows theme rather than the XP. The themes service as well as the Windows Audio was not started. Now every time I restart my computer these services (DHCP, Themes, Windows Audio) are not running. They are all set to automatic, and I have no problem starting the manually.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out. I'm assuming there is still some type of virus or corrupted file.

Thanks!

Edited to add: I downloaded TdssKiller and ran it. Everything seems to be working now. If you think I need to do anything else please let me know. Otherwise, I'm sorry for the post!

Edited by savache27, 01 June 2010 - 08:20 AM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.