Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardrive usb adapter

• Please log in to reply

Keman

Keman

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok well this is kinda a continuation from my last thread in which I decieded that I was just getting a new comp, but even though I'm sure everything was backed up before hand (from my old comp). I'd still like to know that I could go back to that hard drive or any hard drive to retrive lost files.

I was directed Here and also when I searched (ide sata usb adapter) it comes up with a few more possiblity's (wasn't sure why I was pointed to only those 4).

Anyway's I guess I was just wondering if anyone here had any recomendactions as to what brand or specific model of "ide/sata usb adapter" was a good chocie to buy, since I pretty much have no clue what to look for in these things, since I just found out about them a few days ago. Are certin types better then others(some look like chords some look like little boxes) ex.?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Chris_027

Chris_027

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Any of the adapters on that page will work equally as well and they all do basically the same thing. If I was to make a recommendation I would pick the rosewill at the top of the page because it comes with a protective case. I always get a little nervous about damaging the hard drive when i'm transfering files from mine because the hard drive is just sitting exposed on my desktop so a case would definitely come in handy. Other than that they all pretty much get the job done and are an awesome addition to any technicians toolbox.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
shehing makes an excellent point. Hard drives are sensitive to vibrations and shock, and just leaving them sitting around while in use without some form of protection borders on reckless, in my opinion.

I just ordered this enclosure. It's a little bit pricier for it's purpose, but the line has gotten good reviews, and I like that fact that it's a protective enclosure, not just an adapter. A few extra bucks gets me protective mounting, a cooling fan and piece of mind. I'll take that any day. I also took a look at this one- didn't order it, so I can't give an opinion, but it's a little cheaper.

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Oh gotcha, I think I can make a pretty informed decision now so yeah thanks. ^_^

Edit: um... I dont want to come off as sounding to stupid but if I was to slide my 80GB HD into "this case" which side of the HD would be facing out, as in the open side?

Edited by Keman, 01 June 2010 - 01:09 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Keman, the blue case you are looking at I would use for the times when I was needing to constantly move hard drives. It is a open case and you can easily plug and unplug and remove a drive. I don't use my backup drives like that so I prefer what FNP linked to.

If you do the adapter (the blue one you linked to), I would place the circuit board side of the drive against the side with all the holes. This would give better cooling and protection.

123runner

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Oh well I won't be using this as a external hard drive persay (allready have a large one I back up files to), I was more along the lines of thinking of just hooking it up to retrive files off of for a short period of time, along with some of the other hard drives or any in the near future, plus I thought the chord would be portable enough I could take it somewhere if need =P