Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access windows xp

• Please log in to reply

tgardner

tgardner

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I accidentally booted up windows 2000 proffesional (i cant remember the password to log into it)on my computer and now on the screen that lets me access which os i want it wont let me choose the xp os. None of my f keys work to go to an alternate boot menu to go around that screen is there another way to do this? I cant get into my computer.

Edited by tgardner, 01 June 2010 - 06:34 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

... i cant remember the password ...

GeekToGo's Terms of Use does not allow its members to assist anyone bypass or recover lost passwords. Due to the open, public nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that GeeksToGo cannot take.

If you have a legitimate need to circumvent a password scheme, please contact the vendor for the software / hardware and request their assistance. E.g. Windows XP password recovery issues should be taken up with Microsoft, Phoenix BIOS password recovery issues should be taken up with Phoenix Technologies, Dell's "this system is protected by a password authenication system" should be taken up with Dell tech support, etc. ...

tgardner

tgardner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i dont want the password for that account i just want to know if there is another way of switching the operating system then what comes up before the windows log on screen cause it wont let me choose the os from that screen

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Before I close this topic due to SpywareDr comment, please explain:

it wont let me choose the xp os

tgardner

tgardner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok let me see if i can explain better my computer wont let me toggle between win 2000 professional and windows xp which i accidentally changed it to. I just wanted to know if there is another way to change my operating system without the f5 key not working at boot up since i cant get into the win prof. is there another way to do it. I just want to be able to get back into my windows xp i was going to reformat my comp but the f8 ke doesnt work eather and thats the one it says to push to do it.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You still didn't explain, why you can't boot to XP, or what happens, when you try.

tgardner

tgardner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
when i turn on the computer it asks which system i want to run but it wont let me. it says to hit the up and down arrows to choose but it doesnt work.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Can you actually use arrows, or they don't work?

tgardner

tgardner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the arrows are supposed to highlight the windows version i want to use but nothing happens if i go into the cmos setup utility they do so i know its not the keyboard

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I still don't understand.
If this is dual boot, you should have on-screen choice to which Windows you want to boot.
What's the reason to go to BIOS?

Advertisements

tgardner

tgardner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
was just explaining it wasnt the keyboard. it does offer but it wont let me switch do it the arrows wont move to the highlighted area to xp

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
How do you know, it's not a keyboard?
Did you try different keyboard?

tgardner

tgardner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes i did. 2 of them actually

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
USB keyboards? Was the selection working before?

tgardner

tgardner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes usb keyboard and one with the round plug. and no it wasnt